John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4 How do I change the steering wheel volume

Customer Question

How do I change the steering wheel volume control switch on a 2005 Tahoe?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

here is information to hgelp you.

Steering Wheel Replacement

Steering Wheel Puller

Steering Wheel Puller Adapter

Steering Wheel Puller Legs

1. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) systemRemove the inflator module. Remove the horn switch. Make an alignment mark in order to note the relationship of the steering wheel to the steering shaft.
  2. Remove the steering wheel nut.
    Object Number: 649307  Size: SH

3. Remove the steering wheel using:

1. Align the marks made during the removal of the steering shaft and the steering wheel.
    Object Number: 245807  Size: SH

2. Install the steering wheel onto the steering shaft. Install the steering wheel nut to the steering shaft.
  3. Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 40 N·m (29 lb ft).

4. Install the horn switch. Install the inflator module. Enable the SIR system.

Steering Wheel Control Switch Assembly Replacement

1. Remove the steering wheel. Object Number: 755486  Size: SH

2. Remove the shroud retaining screws from the back of the steering wheel.
  3. Remove the shroud from the steering wheel.
    Object Number: 755485  Size: SH

4. Position a blunt ended tool into the wire harness cavity (1) and apply moderate pressure in order to partially remove the steering wheel control switch from the steering wheel.
    Object Number: 652807  Size: SH

5. Disconnect the steering wheel control switch electrical connector.

Important: The bulbs in the steering wheel control switches are not serviceable. The switches should be replaced only as an assembly.

6. Remove the steering wheel control switch from the steering wheel.

Object Number: 652807  Size: SH

1. Position the steering wheel control switch to the steering wheel.
  2. Connect the electrical connector to the steering wheel control switch.
  3. Install the steering wheel control switch into the steering wheel, ensuring the retaining tabs are fully seated.
    Object Number: 755486  Size: SH

4. Install the shroud to the steering wheel. Install the shroud retaining screws to the steering wheel.
  5. Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

6. Install the steering wheel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need to replace the steering wheel volume control switch on a 2005 Tahoe 4x4, and not the entire steering wheel?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Please read the entire repair

Object

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you replied with a diagram. I need the details about to remove the old switch
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Please read all the information carefully. You must remove the steering wheel to replace the switch.

1. Remove the steering wheel.Object Number: 755486  Size: SH

Object Number: 755485  Size: SH

Object Number: 652807  Size: SH

Object Number: 652807  Size: SH

Object Number: 755486  Size: SH

5. Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

6. Install the steering wheel.