Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet Cavalier My 2005 chevy cavalier wont start. The

Customer Question

My 2005 chevy cavalier wont start. The engine turns over. It has a new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new relays...The fuel pump is not coming on. what else could be the problem?
3 weeks ago it wouldnt start and I switched the a/c relay with the fuel relay and it started right up so I bought new relays and replaced them both. The car start and ran fine for 2 weeks then it was involved in a rear-end collision (my car being the car that was rear-ended) the car started and ran fine for 9 days then on day 9 it started fine 3 times and the 4th time I went to start it it wouldn't start so i replaced the relays. It still wouldn't start. i replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump and it still will not start. When I turn the key on the fuel pump does not kick on and when I try to start it, it just turns over but will not start.
Submitted: 5 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

First start by checking the FP/INJ fuse in the dash fuse panel. If this fuse is good then check the fuel pump relay in the underhood fuse panel. Place your hand on the relay and have someone else turn the key on. You should feel the relay click on and then click off again about 2 seconds later. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all fuses and relays are brand new. I just replaced them. They all work
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 years ago.

I know that you said that the relay was new, just wanted to make sure the relay was getting the proper signal from the computer and turning on. If the relay is turning on, you will need to test for power on the gray wire at the fuel pump connector under the car. Again, this wire will have power for two seconds when the key is turned on. Also check the ground for the fuel pump. This is ground G304. G304 is located near the drivers seat. Remove the sill plate and pull back the carpet to expose this ground. Also check for any damage to the fuel pump wiring harness from the collision.