kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

Chevrolet Astro I have a bad coolant leak on my chev astro

Customer Question

I have a bad coolant leak on my chev astro and it seems like its coming out at the top of the engine where the Intake manifold connects to the engine. Do you know what could be the problem.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

kalamykid :

Can you see thecoolant coming from the intake? DId you check the hoses

kalamykid :

to see if they where leakig?

kalamykid :

Is the leak coming from the drivers or passanger side?

Customer :

when I blow air in to radiator coolant comes out on top of the engine where the intake is connected to the engine and it comes out fast and when i put air where its leaking then coolant comes out the rad pretty quik, it seems like there is a big hole some where

kalamykid :

is this the vortec 4.3?

Customer :

yes

kalamykid :

Is the leak on the drivers side or the passanger side?

Customer :

In the middle but a little more to the driver side

kalamykid :

Are you saying it is coming from the thermostat area?

Customer :

It comes out right on top of the engine

kalamykid :

Let me see if I have a diagram of the intake for your van so you can tell me where it is coming from. This way I will understand better and we can find and fix your leak.

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

kalamykid :

Here is a diagram of the intake from the drives side. Please let me know where the leak is coming from.

Customer :

It comes right from the edge where its bolted to the engine

kalamykid :

On the driver side tward the front?

Customer :

right in the middle

kalamykid :

on the side of the intake or the center of the front of the intake.

Customer :

on the side

kalamykid :

So you are saying the leak is in the middle of the drivers side of the intake where the bolt in the diagram is?

Customer :

yes somewhere around there

kalamykid :

There are no water ports n the intake in the center of the intake. The water crossover ports are at the front and rear of the intake. Can you take your blower and move back more to the rear of the intake and see if you still get coolant to come out the radiator?

Customer :

I dont have the van here Its at a friends shop, but there is a bracket there that I didnt take off so I cant see exactly where its coming from, but it is more to the front

kalamykid :

That sounds more like it. YOu have just got a bad intake gasket. You will have to pull the distributor out and then pull the intake off and replace the gaskets.

Customer :

it seems like it leaks too bad to be just a gasket

kalamykid :

As you are taking the intake off see if the intake bolts are loose or broken. If it is leaking where the intake and head meet towards the front of the intake then the only thing there is the intake gasket.

kalamykid :

unless the coolant has ethched the alluminum intake and there is metal worn off of the intake.

kalamykid :

As for how bad the leak is how much air pressure where you using to blow into the intake and radiator?

Customer :

can it be done without taking the engine out, because its pretty tight in there

Customer :

about 60 psi

kalamykid :

Yes the intake can be removed and replaced with the engine still in the van. It is tight but you will need to pull the dog house off and that will make it much easier to get to all the components.

kalamykid :

Most of the work is done inside the van through the dog house area.

Customer :

ok thanks for the help

kalamykid :

YOu are very welcome.