GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2001 Chevrolet silverado 4.3 V6, engine turns but wont start

2001 Chevrolet silverado 4.3 V6, engine turns but won't start

Welcome, and thanks for using Just Answer. I am Cam, and I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can. About your vehicle,

Did you replace the cap and rotor recently?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. Some further info: Vehicle is started and run about once a week. SInce replacing the battery cable and battery, the truck has turned over slowly even with correct voltage from the battery, but it does always turn over. Today it is turning at normal seeming speed, but not starting. 140K miles on truck.

OK, try the cap and rotor. I have seen MANY where that alone was the issue and if you have not changed it any time recently, it may be due or overdue. It may even be why it was turning slow if the spark was going down the wrong line.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a copy of the procedure for this? I haven't done a rotor before.

It is very simple, pull the wires off the cap, remove the 2 torx screws and remove the cap, then remove the 2 screws for the rotor and remove. The cylinder numbers are cast into the cap so you can easily line them up. Just be sure to make sure the screws are not over tightened.