Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  38 Years of automotive repair experience. Technicial Assistant Specialist for OEM.
10906483

93 Chevy: pickup..Headlight switch..Brake light switch..tail lights

I have a 93 Chevy Silverado pickup. I have changed the Headlight switch, Turn Signal switch, Brake light switch and both tail lights. I also ran the wires from the fire wall to both tail lights and checked for breaks.But still I can start the truck and turn on the headlights and thenmash the brake or try to use the turn signals and it will shut the truck down like you turned the switch off. Can anyone tell me something else to check or what might be wrong.... also if I have the lights on and try the turn signals they both flash on the back butt not on the front. Please help!

It has to be a ground problem.

I've been reading and re-reading your description of the problem and the only thing that comes to mind is a ground problem.

Have you got a volt meter? We should be able to measure where the problem is.

Dj

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Already checked and redone ground on harness going to back of truck

I don't think the problem is in the back. I think it's in the front.

When the lights and the turn signals are turned on, there is an increased current flow to the ground. If the ground is weak, they won't work. This could be the same ground as some of the engine electronics, which is causing the engine to stall.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where would this ground be located?

I'm sorry but I don't have a picture of the grounds.

Your truck is old enough that GM dealerships still have paper manuals that you can look at and photocopy. It's also possible that your local library has GM manuals.

That's the best source. The Haynes manuals are about 75% accurate, too general.

Thank you for accepting.

I would really like to have a complete set of manuals. But they are about $2,000 per model year for GM manuals. Plus that's about 5 feet of books per year. It's just not in the budget and I don't have the space.

The newer manuals are online. I still prefer the paper books, but the online manual is more practical.

Thank again.

Dj