AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Chevorlet 1500 1998 chevrolet 1500 with 305 vortec. engine

1998 chevrolet 1500 with 305 vortec. engine is flooding on inital start up, seems to do it more often when below 65*. No logged codes and when the engine will start, it s not skip, smoke r have lack of power. I have replaced the following item thus far, right down stream O2 sensor ( did have a active code for this ) cam shaft position sensor, full set of plugs (Auto lite Platnums) new set of wires (A C Delo) a new ignition coil and a temp sens for the PCM. End result is no change in symptom
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....
I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

Have you checked fuel pressure? Does the fuel pressure leak down at all with the key off?

Does the engine have plenty of power under wide open throttle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I am a tec but heavy diesel, I do not have a test port to check fuel pressure, lines go straight to the injection spider block, Yes do have full power with wide open throttle. Cranking voltage does not drop, statrer does not drag. When it does flood out it is across the board, can pull out all eight plugs and pour fuel out of them. I have tested for spark with a spark tester and I have good spark at all times, I thought it was the coolant temp sensor throwin off my fuel mix when cold, yes it was the two wire sensor by the thermostat and not the one for the gauge in the block.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Ok... It sounds like you might have a fuel pressure regulator is leaking fuel into the intake causing your no start condition. This is very common. When this happens, two things happen. Your fuel pressure is low because your fuel system is leaking and the extra fuel goes right into your engine and its not accounted for by the computer. The combination for both of these things can cause all sorts of problems including your no start condition.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not see any mention of a pressue regulator in my service manuel, also it the regulator was out I would think that ambient temp would not be a factor. If the outside temp is 67* or above, it will start everytime
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
IT is very possible! However, we wont know until we hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see if the fuel pressure is within specs and that it does not leak down.

IF the fuel pressure is not an issue, and the injectors themselves are not leaking, then the major sensor inputs to the computer for injectors pulse width are MAP/MASS AIR FLOW sensor, tps and engine coolant temp sensor.

Edited by AMEDEE on 12/18/2010 at 11:48 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fuel system has no rail, line go into the manifold straight from the injection pump, where do you tap in to check the fuel pressure
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
IF there is no schreader valve on the fuel pressure line going up to the intake, then you will need to tap into the fuel line at the fuel filter underneath the vehicle.

Here is a picture.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So check the fuel pressure to check for bleed down with engine and key off, if this is the case, where is the pressure regulator, is it part of the spider assembly and is it serviceable or will I need to replace it as a unit?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
So check the fuel pressure to check for bleed down with engine and key off

That is correct!

where is the pressure regulator,

Inside the intake manifold.

is it part of the spider assembly and is it serviceable or will I need to replace it as a unit?

You replace the regulator separate after removing the intake manifold (of course, only if it is leaking)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok if fuel pressure does not leak down, where would I go next
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Check the tps voltage with the key on engine off and them the mass air flow sensor or map sensor voltage key on engine off and cranking.

Oh.. and also check the coolant temp sensor.
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector