Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

You bleed the air out of a cooling system when the car..runing

Customer Question

do you bleed the air out of a cooling system when the car is runing or when its turned off?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Always bleed it with the car running. If normal bleeding is not getting the air out, use this method:

Raise front end about 8-10" off the ground so that the radiator and resevoir are higher than the heater core(remember, air rises to the top), fill resvoir and run engine for about 10 minutes with heater on high. Turn off engine, allow to cool for a couple of minutes and check resevoir. If below the full mark, repeat process. Do this until the resevoir stays at full mark(usually 2-3 times).
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank Eric again . The information he gave me seems to have done the trick. The reservoir is full and so is the radiator. I'll never let Jeffy lube do a coolant change again.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

glad you got it and have a great holiday season!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the problem returned today
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, how long before it starts reading hot? does it matter if it is stop and go traffic or highway driving?

Does it actually overheat, with either steam or coolant bubbling like its boiling in the overflow tank, or just reading hot?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went about two miles this morning and the gage went up to the three quarter mark . I haven't let it go to red hot or irt hasn't gone that far yet . I did what you said yesterday and after I was done I let the car idle for about a half an hour and then took it for a eight mile drive and it was ok . After it went to the high mark this moring I repeated what I did yesterday. It was fine after that I took it on another eight mile drive and it acted normal. I let it set for about three hours ,tok it for a ride and the overheating started again.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Ok, this sounds like the new thermostat is defective and is sticking at times. I would have the thermostat replaced again. If a shop did the work, it should be replaced under their warranty