Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

1992 Chevy Lumina: Sedan..automatic door locks...cold weather

I have a 1992 Chevy Lumina Sedan. It has automatic door locks. We have been having very cold weather. I couldn't get the car doors open because they were frozen. I finally got the two front doors open but now I can't get them to close. The locking mechanism in the end of the door won't release to allow the door to close. I can't get either front door to close all the way. I sprayed WD-40 on the mechanism but it still won't move to allow it to close Is there some trick to getting it to release. Or are my locks broken. Puttinh the key into the door lock doesn't seem to have any effect on the mechanism. HELP!
If you push on the door will it fully close but then not latch or does it seem to hit something hard before fully closing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it won't latch at all. It does seem to hit something.
Pull on the door handle as if you were opening it. At the same time take a screwdriver or pen and move the metal piece inside the latch slot (down, I think, on that model) until the slot is clear, then it should shut normally.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That worked fine on the driver's side but the passenger side door still won't close. Pulling on the door handle seems to have no effect on the door latch. I can't get the metal piece to move down with a screwdriver. It won't budge. I think the lock is broken.
Are you pulling on the inside or outside one? Try the inside one and make sure the lock is unlocked.