Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Rear drum brakes for 97 chevy z-71

rear drum brakes for 97 chevy z-71
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

spay a lubricant/wd40 around the center of the drum..

use a hammer and beat around the out side of the drum,this may jar the center of the drum loose and will also unlock the shoes from the drums..you will need to get a little ruff with them

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Service and Repair

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
Construction of this drum and hub assembly does not allow replacement with the hub assembly installed on the vehicle.

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist and support with suitable safety stands.
  2. Remove the hub and drum assembly.
  3. Remove the retaining bolts, stud nuts, or wheel studs.
  4. Separate the drum, hub, and oil deflector.
  5. Press the wheel studs out of the drum.
  6. Replace parts as necessary.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Connect the drum to the hub.
  2. Align the drain holes.
  3. Apply a light coating of sealing compound to the oil deflector contact surface.
  4. Connect the oil deflector to the drum.
  5. Install the retaining bolts, stud nuts, or wheel studs.
  6. Press the wheel studs into the drum.

: 1997 Chevy Truck
With Leading/Trailing Drum Brakes

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
GM replacement brake lining material is recommended for all vehicles to maintain the balance between front and rear brake performance. GM replacement brake parts have been carefully selected to provide the proper brake balance for the purposes of stopping distance and control over the full range of operating conditions. Installation of front or rear lining material with performance different from that of recommended GM replacement parts can change the intended brake balance of this vehicle.

1. Raise the vehicle and support the vehicle with safety stands.
  2. Mark the relationship of the wheel to the hub.
  3. Remove the tire and the wheel.
  4. Mark the relationship of the drum to the axle.
  5. Remove the drum.

1. If the drum is difficult to remove, do the following:
    • Make sure the parking brake is released.
    • Back off the parking brake cable adjustment.
    • Remove the access hole plug from the backing plate and insert a screwdriver through the hole to push the parking brake lever off the stop.
    • Use a rubber mallet to tap gently on the outer rim of the drum and/or around the inner drum diameter. Be careful to not deform the drum by excessive beating.
  1. Remove the actuator spring and the adjuster actuator.
  2. Raise the lever arm of the actuator until the upper end is clear of the slot in the adjuster screw.

1. Slide the actuator (10) off of the adjuster pin (12).
  2. Disconnect the actuator spring (13) from the shoe (15).
  3. Remove the hold-down spring assemblies (8) and the pins.
  4. Remove the lower return spring (6).
    • Pull the bottom ends of the shoes apart.
    • Lift the lower return spring (6) over the anchor plate.
    • Allow the shoe ends to come together.
    • Release the spring.
  1. Remove the shoe and lining assemblies (1 and 15).
  2. Remove the upper return spring (5).
  3. Remove the adjusting screw assembly.
    • Do not damage the wheel cylinder boots.
    • Bring the bottom ends of the shoes together (overlap if necessary) so the upper shoe ends clear the wheel cylinder boots. Spread the bottom of the assembly to clear the axle flange.
  1. Remove the upper return spring (5).
  2. Remove the adjusting screw assembly from the shoes.
  3. Remove the retaining ring (16).
  4. Remove the pin (14).
  5. Remove the spring washer (3).
  6. Remove the parking brake lever (2).
  7. Inspect the wheel cylinder for signs of leakage.
  8. Inspect the brake drum for signs of scoring and machining tolerance.
  9. Replace any parts that show signs of discoloration from heat, stress, or wear.
  10. Inspect the threads of the adjuster screw (14) for smooth rotation over the full length.

1. Using denatured alcohol, clean the following components:
    • The adjuster screw (14)
    • The nut (10)
    • The spring clip (9)
    • The adjuster socket (7)

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the parking brake lever (2).
  2. Install the spring washer (3). The concave side of the spring washer should face the parking brake lever.
  3. Install the pin (4).
  4. Install the retaining ring (16).
  5. Install the adjuster pin (12) in the shoe (15) so the pin projects 6.8 to 7.0 mm (0.268 to 0.276 inch) from the side of the shoe web where the adjuster actuator is installed.
  6. Apply brake lubricant or equivalent to the threads of the adjuster screw (14) and inside diameter and face of the socket (7). Adequate lubrication is achieved when there is a continuous bead of lubricant at the open end of the adjuster nut (10) and the socket (7) when the threads are fully engaged.
  7. Install the upper return spring (5).
    • Lay the shoes (1 and 15) on a clean, flat work surface in the position they will be in when installed on the backing plate.
    • The shoe with the parking brake lever goes to the rear of the vehicle.

NOTICE: Do not over-stretch the upper return spring. Damage can occur if it is stretched to more than 204.2 mm (8.04 inches) .

1. Install the adjusting screw assembly.
    • The adjusting screw assembly should engage the adjuster shoe (1) and the parking brake lever (2).
    • The spring clip (9) must face the backing plate.
  1. Lubricate the shoe pads on the backing plate with a thin coat of white lithium grease.
  2. Install the shoe and lining assemblies (1 and 15).
  3. Install the upper return spring (5).
  4. Install the adjusting screw assembly.
    • Overlap the bottoms of the shoes so the upper shoe ends clear the wheel cylinder boots.
    • Make sure the upper shoe ends rest on the wheel cylinder piston ends.
    • Do not place the lower shoe web ends under the anchor plate until the lower return spring is installed.

NOTICE: Do not over-stretch the lower return spring. Damage can occur if it is stretched to more than 107.3 mm (4.22 inches) .

1. Install the lower return spring (6).
    • Bring the ends of the shoe and lining assemblies (1 and 15) together over the anchor plate.
    • Hook the spring ends to the shoe web holes.
    • Spread the lower ends of the shoe and the lining assemblies to clear the anchor plate.
    • Position the shoes against the backing plate and release them.
    • Pull the spring into the groove at the bottom of the anchor plate.
  1. Connect the hold-down pins and the spring assemblies (8).
  2. Install the adjuster actuator (11) over the end of the adjuster pin (12) so the top leg engages the notch in the adjuster screw. NOTICE: Do not over-stretch the actuator spring. Damage can occur if it is stretched to more than 83 mm (3.27 inches) .
  3. Install the actuator spring (13). The free end of the adjuster actuator (11) must engage the notch of the adjuster nut.
  4. Connect the parking brake cable to the parking brake lever (2).
  5. Install the drum. Align the marks made during disassembly.
  6. Adjust the rear brakes.
  7. Install the tire and the wheel. Align the marks made during disassembly.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
orginal 200K miles on the drums, so my son is replacing them in the morning let you know how it turns out.