Shannon Martin
Shannon Martin, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  over 20 years as a line technician both asian and domestic.
48411850

2001 Chevy S10 Blazer: 2wd..front brakes..pads..the rotors are

I am working on my son's 2001 Chevy S10 Blazer Extreme, it is a 2wd model. The front brakes started making noise and I was hoping to just change the pads. However the rotors are bad also, quite gauged up and uneven. I have changed front rotors on other cars before. There has always been a dust cover to remove, then you could access the cotter pin/spindle nut, remove them and just pull the the rotor off of the spindle. I am not seeing any dust cover or spindle nut on this front rotor...

So how do you change the front brake rotors on a 2001 Chevy S10 Blazer 2wd model? Any pictures or diagrams would be a plus.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Shannon Martin replied 3 years ago.

Shannon Martin :

hi i am shannon i will help on this issue

Shannon Martin :

hi

Customer :

Hi Shannon

Shannon Martin :

i will get you what i can find in my manuals

Shannon Martin :

if they just pull off all you will have to do is remove the calipher

Shannon Martin :

and its bracket

Shannon Martin :

but you may want to repack the front wheel bearings

Shannon Martin :

it is a job on a 4X4

Shannon Martin :

4X2 sorry

Customer :

"if they just pull off all you will have to do is remove the calipher"

Shannon Martin :

and the bracket if it in the way

Shannon Martin :

if you like i,ll get the procegar

Customer :

I'm not sure of what you are saying there. If I remove the caliper and the bracket, the rotor will just pull off?

Shannon Martin :

yes

Shannon Martin :

the easy to tell if they are pull off rotors is to look at the new ones

Customer :

Shannon, is it OK with you if I go out and try that before I do the accept thing? I will have to remove the caliper bracket, but it should only take a little bit.

Shannon Martin :

if there is no berring race just a big hole there pull offs

Shannon Martin :

yes no problem i,ll look it up in the mean time

Customer :

I don't have any new rotors to look at yet. I was going to tear it apart to see what I needed first.

Shannon Martin :

ok i will switch us to Q&A mode and post what i find

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
ok i,ll be back just ask in the box below

you may need to hit the old rotors with a big hammer if there rusted on. i don,t know if you have got duel or signal piston. so i got both.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

graphicgraphic

Edited by Shannon Martin on 12/11/2010 at 5:20 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, hitting the rotors with a large hammer didn't do the trick. They never even budged a little bit... I ended up giving up trying to get the rotors off and just installed some new pads. They probably won't last very long on these messed up rotors. I think some type of "puller" might have to be used to get the rotors off.
please get some penetrating oil and put it on where the rotor and hub come together

i looked up the parts too be sure they are pull off they are . i have in the past had to hit the rotor with a 5lb. hammer when they were rusted on .

graphicgraphic

graphic

Edited by Shannon Martin on 12/11/2010 at 8:42 PM EST
Experience: over 20 years as a line technician both asian and domestic.