Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

1998 Chevy: automatic..000 miles..Service engine soon..next morning

I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado 350 Vortec automatic with 123,000 miles on it "Service engine soon" light was on and code was p1345 when code was read. Code was turned off and didn't come back on till the next morning. Now its off again by itself. Truck has new plugs, wires since this last spring also have a breathalizer installed State Ordered that was done at a state certified shop any help would be appreciated. Thanks Adam
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
Have you had any work done recently to the engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The only work ive had done was the intake gaskets were replaced around april may dont remeber exact month
Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
Okay, that may be important. The code is for a correlation error between the crankshaft sensor and the distributor cam sensor. If the distributor is disturbed it is supposed to be re-timed using a scanner and watching cam correlation. They may have just sort of "eyeballed" it and it is off now. In fact the distributor may have come loose also. I would take it back to the shop that did the intake and have them check the correlation. If they don't know how, that is a clue they didn't do it correctly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wouldn't the problem have started sooner though i thought it might have had something to do with the cold weather
Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
It is a real fine adjustment, they may have gotten close enough for it to be good for a while. It is also possible you have a failed sensor or even a timing chain, but if the distributor has been out that is always the first thing to check. Plus it doesn't cost anything to fix.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
would a failing sensor cause the service engine soon light to come on and then seem to fix itself becase the light went off on its own
Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, if it has an intermittent contact or is real close to being right.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long is the normal life of the two sensors you mentioned earlier im pretty sure they are the originals because i have all the preveouse owners service records all they mention are O2 sensors
Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
They are both pretty durable. Normally of a crank sensor fails the engine just stops. The distributor/cam sensor is the more likely of the two, but I wouldn't change anything until the adjustment is checked.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness