kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

Chevrolet 2003 I have a 2003 Chevy s10. The heater is not

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Chevy s10. The heater is not working. The blower works and the heater core is not leaking. When I touch the in and out lines for the heater core they are both warm.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

kalamykid :

Are the heater hoses as warm as the upper radiator hose? Is the system full of coolant? What color is the coolant in the radiator?

Customer :

Yes yes and the coolant is new

kalamykid :

Did you use dexcool to refill the system?

Customer :

yes

kalamykid :

has there ever been green antifreeze in the system?

Customer :

no

kalamykid :

When was the last time the thermostat was changed?

Customer :

original 115000 miles

kalamykid :

DO you ever get any warm air out of the vents?

Customer :

Yes when it was warmer out side in the begining of fall weather

kalamykid :

I need you to see if you can hear the blend door open and close. To do this start the engine, turn the fan on low, vents on floor and change the temp setting from cold to hot and back to cold. See if you hear a thump of the blend door changing positions please.

Customer :

ok will b back in 5 min or less

kalamykid :

ok

Customer :

I do not hear the door opening or closing

kalamykid :

Let me look up the system in your truck and we can check the blend door and see if somthing is not working and keeping the door on cold. Be right back.

Customer :

ok

kalamykid :

Do the vents work correctly? do they blow out the dash vents and floor if set to do so?

Customer :

yes

kalamykid :

The next step is to check the air temp blend door actuator. You will need to remove the glove box liner so you can get behind the dash to get to the actuator.

Customer :

Ok . When I remove the glove box liner. What will I be looking for to know if it is working?

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

Customer :

what steps will I take to know if it is functioning properly?

kalamykid :

In the diagram I just posted number 1 is the actuator you will need to check. WIth the engine running, vents set to floor, change the temp from hot to cold and back again with your hand on the actuator. See if you can fell it working. Then if you look under the actuator you should be able to see the shaft of the actuator. See if it is moving as you change the temp.

Customer :

Ok. do you know what tools I will need to remove the glove box liner?

kalamykid :

You will need a phillips head screw driver and a 7mm socket. There may need a 5.5 mm socket too.

Customer :

thank you I will be back

kalamykid :

ok

Customer :

I droped the glove box and the diagram does not match what is there.

kalamykid :

DO you have a three knob control deck or a digital control deck?

Customer :

it has two knob control deck one for the heat setting and one for the vent settings

kalamykid :

Can you see the top of the hvac box?

Customer :

If what I think what you are talking about I can see part of it

Customer :

Or do you have a diagram for me to see just in case I am wrong

kalamykid :

As you are facing the dash the actuator will be on the upper right hand side of the box. Do you see the actuator or can you fell it?

kalamykid :

what is differant between the diagram I sent you and what you see?

Customer :

every thing. I know that doesnt help but there is some kind of relay box like number 5 but it is square and to the right and above it is a saucer like item which kind of like a diaphram 4 or 5 inches in diamater

kalamykid :

can you give me the 8th and 10th vin digit please?

Customer :

ok

kalamykid :

ty

Customer :

x7

kalamykid :

be right back. Let me make sure I have the right info.

kalamykid :

are you sure the 10th is a 7?

kalamykid :

If it is then youhave a 2007 not a 2003.

Customer :

sorry its a 3

kalamykid :

Be right back

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

kalamykid :

is this more like awhat you see?

Customer :

yes

kalamykid :

do you see number 3 in this diagram? That is the actuator motor you are looking for.

Customer :

I think so but i will go look

Customer :

No. there is a cylinder about the size of coffee can and on the side it has a smaller cylinder next to it that has a metal arm that mounts to the top of the larger cylinder which seems to be actuated

kalamykid :

Do you see it move when you change from hot to cold?

Customer :

It does move

kalamykid :

Do you feel a change ion the temp of the air coming out when you change the setting?

Customer :

the engine is cold I will have to run the truck for a while to heat it up

kalamykid :

let it warm up and see if the air temp changes any when you change the temp setting. Make sure to have the vents set to floor.

Customer :

ok

kalamykid :

ty

Customer :

Ok no heat. I have it set to the vent to the floor. when I first set the switch to the floor vent the actuator arm moves to the right but when I change the switch to cold the arm does not move back to the left. I also check the upper hose on the radiator and it is warm. I also checked the lines to the heater core and one line after some time is warm and the other line is cold.

kalamykid :

If the other heater hose is not getting as warm as the other then you have a surculation problem. The first thing i would do would be to replace the thermostat. Make sure to use a 190 thermostat.

Customer :

Ok do you have diagram for where the thermostat is on the engine?

kalamykid :

Run the upper radiator hose back to the engine. The thermostat is under the base that the upper hose is connrcted to.