the expert
the expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master certified 16years

96 6.5 diesel truck that shuts down on me..driving down..crank..awhile

I have a 96 6.5 diesel truck that shuts down on me from time to time. I'll be driving down the road and it just quits running. Sometimes it will pick back on its own, but other times, I have to crank on it for awhile before it will start. Once I get it running, it runs fine. But it is going to act up when it gets ready, as it has been doing this for a couple of months. I took it to the chevy service center and they replaced the fuel pump. That may have helped things, but I'm still having trouble on a regular basis.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  the expert replied 5 years ago.
hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will help you. this is a pretty common problem on these engines. they have an injector driver module mounted on the side of the injection pump.they go bad and shut the injectors down intermittently.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had a new injector pump installed several months ago. Would that possibly be related, as it's still under warranty?
yes this part is mounted directly to the injection pump. i would find out if they replaced it with the pump because i would think that it would be covered if they did.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How difficult is it to replace?
it look like about three hours or so. you have to remove the intake to gain access to the pump and you are supposed to remove the pump. i have had luck just loosening the pump and turning it far enough to gain access to the screws. all in all not terribly difficult just a ltitle time consuming.