John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

Chevrolet Avalanche LT 2008 chevy avalanche that has this

Customer Question

2008 chevy avalanche that has this code p0449
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

There are a couple of high failure areas ,here is info.

09-06-04-028B: MIL Illuminated, DTCs P0442, P0446, P0455 or P0449 Set Fuel Tank Hard to Fill, Corrosion/Water at EVAP CVS Valve ( Install CVS Valve/Filter) - (Oct 6, 2010)

Subject:Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, DTCs P0442, P0446, P0455 or P0449 Set - Fuel Tank Hard to Fill - Moisture, Water, Corrosion at Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Vent Solenoid (CVS) Valve (Replace Conduit, Install New CVS Valve and Revised Filter)

Models:2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban (1500 Series), Tahoe
2007-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL (1500 Series), Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali

This bulletin is being revised to update the Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-028A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Some customers may comment that the fuel tank is hard to fill.
Some customers may also comment that the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is illuminated.
The technician may find DTCs P0442, P0446, P0455 or P0449 set as current or in history.
The technician may observe evidence of water intrusion at the evaporative emissions (EVAP) canister vent solenoid (CVS) valve.

This condition may be caused by water spray that is generated by the rear wheels. The EVAP CVS valve draws fresh air into the EVAP system around a mushroom cap covered opening in the conduit that is mounted near the top of the fuel filler pipe. Under certain operating conditions, the moisture is ingested into the fresh air intake conduit opening, and is carried down though the conduit to the EVAP CVS valve causing corrosion in the CVS valve, and restrictions in the fresh air intake path, when the valve is in the closed position.

The water also collects in the CVS valve cyclonic filter in order to protect the EVAP canister. However if the capacity of the cyclonic filter is exceeded, this may result in water entering the EVAP canister and cause an additional restriction during refueling.

Note: If the revised filter is already installed on the vehicle, refer to the appropriate DTC procedures in SI.

1. Turn OFF the ignition, and all electrical components, including the scan tool if connected.
  2. Remove the fuel fill cap.
    Object Number: 853731  Size: SH

3. Remove the fuel tank filler housing to body TORX® screws (1) and retainer (2).
  4. Raise and support the vehicle at the appropriate height, in order to gain access to the spare tire assembly. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

5. Remove the spare tire and wheel assembly.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

6. Disconnect the chassis wiring harness electrical connector (1) from the CVS valve.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: Clean the EVAP line connections and surrounding areas prior to disconnecting, in order to avoid possible EVAP system contamination.

7. Disconnect the CVS valve quick connect fitting (1) from the EVAP canister, and disconnect the fuel filler pipe EVAP line quick connect fitting (3) from the CVS valve. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service in SI.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

8. Disengage the retainer (1) securing the CVS valve to the bracket, and remove the CVS valve.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

9. Remove the zip ties (1) as needed, and the CVS valve black conduit and mushroom cap (2).
  10. Leave attached a 50 mm (2 in) piece of the CVS valve black conduit to the plastic collar quick connect fitting that was disconnected from the CVS valve.
  11. Securely connect a 1.22 m (48 in) length of 19 mm (0.75 in) inside diameter heater hose to the 50 mm (2 in) piece of black conduit that is connected to the plastic collar quick connect fitting for the CVS valve.
  12. Install and fully seat the revised CVS valve filter into the open end of the 1.22 m (48 in) heater hose that is attached to the 50 mm (2 in) piece of black conduit.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

13. Lower the fuel tank filler pipe housing (3), and the fuel tank fill hose (4).
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

14. Add two holes to the fuel tank filler pipe housing, approximately 25 mm (1 in) apart as indicated in the illustration, in order to secure the heater hose, and CVS valve filter with a zip tie to the housing.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Note: Observe the proper orientation of the CVS valve filter (1) in the illustration.

15. Secure the CVS valve filter (1) and the CVS valve heater hose to the fuel tank filler pipe housing with a zip tie as indicated in the illustration. Position the zip tie so that sharp surfaces are not present within the fuel cap area of the housing.
  16. Raise the fuel tank filler pipe housing, and the fuel tank fill hose back to the original position, and install the zip ties that were removed from their previous locations. Verify that kinks do not exist at any point in the heater hose.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

17. Install the CVS valve and connect the electrical connector. Connect the CVS valve quick connect fitting (1) to the EVAP canister, and connect the fuel filler pipe EVAP line quick connect fitting (3) to the CVS valve. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service in SI.
  18. Install the spare tire and wheel assembly.
  19. Lower the vehicle.
    Object Number: 853731  Size: SH

20. Install the fuel tank filler housing to body TORX® screws (1) and retainer (2).

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2.3 N·m (20 lb in).

21. Install the fuel fill cap.
  22. With a scan tool clear any DTCs that may be present.

Part Number

Description

Qty

Material Allowance

25962085

Valve, EVAP EMIS CNSTR CONT

(Short Wheelbase)

1

--

25962086

Valve, EVAP EMIS CNSTR CONT

(Long Wheelbase)

1

--

19208702

Filter, EVAP EMIS CNSTR VENT VLV

1

--

12368236 or Equivalent

Heater Hose 7.62 m (25 ft) Length, 19 mm (0.75 in) ID Roll

1

USD $24.49 (per 1.22 m (48 in) Length)

CAD $45.01 (per 1.22 m (48 in) Length

PIP3809C: SES Light - Inspect wire Harness For Short On Front Drive Shaft - (Feb 12, 2009)

Subject:SES Light - Inspect Wire Harness for Short on Front Drive Shaft

Models:2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade
2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon
Most Recent Body Style withXXXXXand V8 Engine

This PI was superseded to update model years and DTCs. Please discard PIP3809B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Some customers may complain of an intermittent crank no start, no crank, SES light, and/or security light. Upon inspection, the technician may find low fuel pressure and/or any of the following DTCs: P0030, P0036, P0050, P0053, P0054, P0056, P0059, P0060, P069E, P0102, P0113, P0118, P0131, P0132, P0135, P0137, P0140, P0141, P0161, P0230, P0335, P0341, P0151, P0152, P0155, P0157, P0158, P0161, P0171, P0172, P0174, P0175, P0449, P0452, P0532, P0641, P069E, P1133, P1153, P1682, P2101, P2534, and/or P2544.

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate a cause for this concern, inspect the wiring harness above the front drive shaft for a potential short to ground, near the transfer case side of the front drive shaft as shown below. Repair any chaffed wires by following SI repair procedures.

The harness should be secured to a supporting bracket with a plastic clinch style clip. If the harness has contacted the front drive shaft because of a missing retaining clip, secure the harness to the metal fuel line bracket with a tie strap to prevent a reoccurrence. If the retaining clip is present but contact still occurred, relocate the inboard clip (part of the wiring harness) and tie strap the harness to prevent a reoccurrence.

Here is an example of a harness that is too close:

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Experience: A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I followed everything as directed and still the codes will not clear...any other things to check? Still goes to that 'reduced engine power' then barely runs.

Regards,
Jason
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Use a scan tool to preform an output test on the canister solenoids & test circuits resistance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate your response and haven't the time to track down the exact issue. I had the truck towed to the GM service dealer and found that there is some sort manufacturers defect (good luck in trying to get them to admit it though). It's with the wiring harness rubbing on the frame causing the wires to become worn and freyed with intermittent failure. This is obviously not a mechanical issue and GM should be responsible for the labor and harness replacement. I got them to cover half the cost. It's very sad that you spend 50k on a vehicle and because of a manufacturing issue it still costs the consumer more.
Thanks for your help anyways....
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Thank You & I hope you have a Merry Christmas.