GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

my truck wont go into 4 wheel drive

my truck wont go intoXXXXX
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. Is this the manual shift or the push button shifter?

Edited by GM Tech (Cam) on 12/3/2010 at 12:25 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
manuel shift
Ok, the should be 12volts to the switch,, brown wire then when you put the shifter into 4, it sends power on the blue wire to the front actuator.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have no power to either one of them but do at the fuse in the dash panel
Then you may have a break in the wire from the dash fuse to the brown wire. I suggest you check the wiring under the fuse block under the hood. Mice love that area and they chew the wiring so that may be the reason.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have checked that unwraped all the wires is there a fusr link or something after the fuse at dash and where dose the brown wire from the fuse go to its not at the switch
Did you check fuses in the under hood fuse block, the ATC or TREC fuses?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i checked them all my cruise quit working a while back to if that would mean anything
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where is the trec fuse ati dont have one

Sorry for the delay, I was out for supper with my family.

Forget the TREC fuse.

Check this, with the transfer case in 4wd, unplug the front axle actuator. TEst with a test light between brown and light blue, see if there is power. If not then see if there is light between the brown and the chassis ground.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing where is the brown suppose to go to after leaving the fuse box it dosent go to the motor or switch

To the front axle actuator. not the switch on the case.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing there

STill no power there, ok, go back to that 4wd fuse in the left dash fuse block. Check it with the test light.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have power at the fuse in the dash and where the brown wire comes out of it
Then you have a bad wire between that ruse and the actuator.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
dose the brown wire go directly to the actuator from the dash fuse

It goes out through the main connector through the fire wall, under the fuse block under the hood, then onto a connector on the inner fender, drivers side then on to the front axle actuator.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so if i splice the wire at the inside fuse box and run a temp one directly to the autuator it dosent go through another fuse or anything and there wont be to many volts going to the actuator

You could run a wire from the battery to that for testings. The wire goes directly to the front actuator and is battery voltage.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if i do that and it dosent work then it must be the actuator am i right

Yes, exactly.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.