Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

replaced driving..mpg was close to 20+..on board computer

2010 Traverse with a replaced timing belt at 35000 miles is having decreasing MPG
now down to 16.9 mostly city driving. Before timing belt change the MPG was close to 20
+ or _ .2-.5. All numbers are from the on board computer. Have had this checked at the dealer and they say they find nothing.
Seems low MPG and slowly decreasing. The car is just over a year and a half old.
I realize that was an early timing chain replacement. All work don under the warrenty at the dealer.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Hello there!

Do you know what the engine vacuum is at idle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not a chance...sorry. How would I find out?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
You just hook a hand held vacuum gauge up to the intake manifold hose or vacuum line and take a reading while the engine is at idle. Low engine vacuum could mean that the timing chain is off a tooth or two which would cause your poor fuel economy. Fluctuating engine vacuum could mean the timing chain is loose which again, would cause your poor gas mileage.