conquest.tsi
conquest.tsi, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  automechanic
46707633

2000 cavalier: how much antifreeze dose..block..radiator

how much antifreeze dose a 2000 cavalier take including block and radiator
Category: Chevy
Expert:  conquest.tsi replied 3 years ago.

conquest.tsi :

hello.....it takes 10.2 quarts. Dex-cool coolant...

Customer:

how much would that be in gallons because it seems to be taking a lot

conquest.tsi :

it is 2 gallons plus less than 1/2 quart...

conquest.tsi :

i mean 2 and 1/2 gallons plus less than 1/2 quart....

Customer:

wear do u think its going i added more then that there are no leaks and no antifreeze in the cobuschencamber

Customer:

sorry for the spelling its located under the sparke plugs

conquest.tsi :

did you check the oil level ?

Customer:

yes the oil is not creamy

Customer:

or grey

conquest.tsi :

Is the car running good ? do you see any white smoke coming out of the exhaust ?

Customer:

yesterday i did but it runs fine know a lot of smoke came out yesterday a the car wanted to stall

Customer:

the car also has been overheating and i changed thermostat

conquest.tsi :

check under your floor mats,or press on them with your hand, this cars like to blow heater cores....Do you get foggy windshield ?

Customer:

no

Customer:

checked that

conquest.tsi :

Is the car running at normal temperature ? It can only leak it or burn it.....usually on this engines the headgasket goes or the heater core....Is this the 2.2 ,4 cyl. engine ?

Customer:

yes it i 2.2 no the car is a high temp

conquest.tsi :

The car is overheating ? is it going to the red ?

Customer:

yes

conquest.tsi :

does the radiator fan come on after 3/4 on the temp gage ?

Customer:

yes

conquest.tsi :

If you fill up the coolant and then start the engine, does it make bubles or trows the coolant out ?

Customer:

no

conquest.tsi :

did you ever replace your thermostat ?

conquest.tsi :

with the info. that you gave me i think you should try a GM thermostat and also replace the cap on the coolant reservoir....i think you are leaking from the reservoir down to the frame ...I am switching you to the Q@A this way you can get back to me later or tomorrow,i need to pick up my son .....

conquest.tsi, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: automechanic
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Let me know.....thank you...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there are no leaks and i have a thermostat that i tested it works but the car overheats when its in but when i take it out the car runs fine it just has no heat

Try to flush the heater core...need to disconnect the two hoses that go to the fire wall then use the water hose and run water through the heater core....Put everything together ,run the engine for 10 minutes...turn it off ,wait 10 m ,check the coolant and run it again,make sure you have the heat on all the time.....let me know.....than you..

conquest.tsi, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: automechanic