kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

Chevy S10: cyl..Truck starts but stalls..Now it doesnt start at all.

Chevy S10 Pickup - 4 cyl 1998. Truck starts but stalls within about 10 secounds. Now it doesn't start at all. Any Ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

kalamykid :

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Customer:

NO, how would I do that

kalamykid :

DO you have a fuel pressure tester?

Customer:

No

kalamykid :

What year is your truck?

Customer:

1998

kalamykid :

What size engine do you have in it?

Customer:

4 cyl

kalamykid :

The 98 did not come with a 4 cyl. They only came with a 4.3 tbi or a 4.3 vortec

kalamykid :

Can you give me the 8th and 10th vindigit please?

Customer:

4.3 tbi

kalamykid :

That is a v6

kalamykid :

Do you have some one there that can help you do some testing?

Customer:

Ok, This is my neighbors truck. Might it be electronic, ie - main relay, oac valve or something, computer sensor?

kalamykid :

Is he there with you to help yoiu?

Customer:

Yes, but we are both scratching our heads.

kalamykid :

The first thing I need you to do is to pull the air cleaner off and have him try to start the engine. Wile he is turning the engine over look at the bottom of the injectors and see if they are spraying gas into the throttle body please.

Customer:

OK, How do I get back to you?

kalamykid :

Just send me a message here and I will be here to help you.

Customer:

OK be back soon, Thanks,

kalamykid :

ok

Customer:

I'll get back to you as soon as I can. My neighbor ran to a auto parts store to try to get some info. He's Spanish and hard to communiate with. Be back as soon as he gets back.

kalamykid :

ok

Customer:

kalamykid, you there?

kalamykid :

I am here

Customer:

Took the air cleaner off, no fuel spraying into

kalamykid :

Pull one of the spark plug wires off and stick a screw driver into it and hold the metel part of the screw driver over something metel like the exaughst manifold and have him turn the engine over again to see if you have spark please.\

Customer:

OK

Customer:

yes there is spark

kalamykid :

Take the gas cap off and have him turn the key on and see if you can hear the fuelpump running.

kalamykid :

You will need to stick your ear into the opening so you can hear it.

Customer:

Good call. Can't hear anything, earlier this morning we could. Duh!

kalamykid :

Know we need to find out why the pump isnot running.

kalamykid :

Do you have a test light?

Customer:

What kind of test light, nothing special I hope. Normal meter do?

kalamykid :

Just a simpal test light would work.

Customer:

Got one

kalamykid :

If you do not have a test light a meter will work.

Customer:

Ok, Got both

kalamykid :

The first thing to do is use your test light to see if you have poer to all the fuses in the fuse box on both sides of the fuses.

kalamykid :

sorry for the typo see if you have power on both sides of the fuses.

Customer:

I'll go check

kalamykid :

ok

Customer:

everything looks good

kalamykid :

The next thing to check will be for power going to the fuel pump. When you changed the fuel pump did it have a remote plug for the pump? double check and make sure it is pluged in good. then see if you have power to the uprple wire.

Customer:

Yeah, the turkey didn't have it connected tight. Things working good. Thanks Very Much, Happy Holidays.

kalamykid :

Thank you and happy holidays to you too.

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q