JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech

How do I change the fuel pressure regulator on a 98 silverado?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 3 years ago.

the intake needs to be removed

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Relieve fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Release Procedure .
  3. Remove the upper manifold assembly. Refer to Engine Mechanical .

DISASSEMBLE PROCEDURE

1. Disassemble the fuel pressure regulator snap ring retainer.
  2. Disassemble the regulator assembly and the O-rings.
  3. Discard the O-rings.

NOTE : If the fuel pressure regulator is to be reinstalled, inspect the filter screen (if equipped) for contamination. If contaminated, remove. Discard the filter screen.

ASSEMBLE PROCEDURE

1. Lubricate the new O-rings with clean engine oil.
  2. Install as an assembly, backup O-ring, large O-ring, filter and small O-ring.
  3. Assemble the regulator with vacuum tube pointing down and snap ring retainer.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the upper manifold assembly. Refer to Engine Mechanical .
  2. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When the instruction says "refer in engine mechanical disassembleprocedure". What does that mean exactly. The biggest problem I can see myself having is that dis- assembly procedure. Is it just the plastic top assembly that I need to remove? Does this give me access to the spider fuel injectors or are those deeper?

whats the problem with the car first?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Over the last year or so it has become more difficult to start, Where, before it was always a 1 second turn of the key and it started, well now it takes 3-5 seconds. It usually happens atfer I've just driven it and it has only been off for 30 minutes to an hour. In the mornings after it has sat all night it starts quickly and smoothly. The theory is that the regultor is leaking there is too much fuel in the intake. Over night the fuel has evaporated. Also, this week it started rough and would not idle until I kept the pedal pressed for a couple of minutes at about 1500 rpm. Then it ran fine after. Also, idles rough at traffic lights for the first 5 miles or so in the morning.
sounds more like a fuel pump losing prime ...i would test fuel pressure first when this occurs....i have never seen one of these regulators go bad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fuel pump was replaced at about 100,000 miles and i'm at 130,000 now but I guess it still could be that. Is checking the pressure something that has to be done in the shop?
it can be done at home there is a test port on the fuel rail at the intake....and many parts stores have rental gauges
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll try that. If I do change the regulator, is it located just under the plastic part of what looks like a two piece intake?
yes correctgraphicgraphic
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

O.K. Well I have what I need to at least get to the next step. Thanks for your time and feed back.