GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

How do I remove the fan on my 2004 2500HD Duramax?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

Welcome, and thanks for using Just Answer. I am Cam, and I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can. About your vehicle,

There is a tool to hold the pulley. So you know the water pump is not behind the fan, it is off the drivers side of the engine, the fan runs on a pulley mounted to the block.

The tools are this, a flat tool with 2 pegs to insert into the holes on the face of the pulley to hold it then a large fan clutch tool wrench to turn the clutch. This is a normal right hand thread.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Your answer is very helpful. How many questions can I ask for my one time payment.

Did you sign up for the monthly subscription for one month?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No but I will now.

If you do that, you can ask MANY questions, accept all as you normally would and pay only the monthly fee, then when you no longer need it, you can turn that off.

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT so that the question may be closed out. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I replace the waterpump with out removing the fan?

No, you will need to take the fan off so you can get the harmonic balancer off.

There is one bolt hidden under there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I am a little confused. Can I get the fan and the balancer off without taking the pulley behind them off?

Yes the fan spins off the pulley behind. Now down lower is the harmonic balancer, and there is one bolt under that for the water pump so it needs to come off as well.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.