david
david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

chevy S10 adjust the timing on a chevy 4.3L V6

Customer Question

adjust the timing on a chevy 4.3L V6
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david replied 3 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

Timing is set at

4 Degrees Before top dead center with the auto transmission
0 Degrees Top dead center with the manual transmission
*Set at warm idle speed (600 RPM)
*Distributor vacuum hose disconnected & plugged
*Transmission in neutral (parking brake engaged)

To check and adjust the timing:

1. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature. Stop the engine and connect the timing light to the No. 1 spark plug wire. Clean off the timing marks and mark the pulley or damper notch and timing scale with white chalk. The best way to get it to an accessible position for marking is to bump the engine around using either the ignition key or a remote starter.
  2. Disconnect and plug the vacuum line at the distributor. This is done to prevent any distributor vacuum advance. A short screw, pencil, or a golf tee can be used to plug the line.
  3. Start the engine and adjust the idle speed to

4. Aim the timing light at the pointer marks. Be careful not to touch the fan, Keep the timing light wires clear of the fan, belts, and pulleys. If the pulley or damper notch isn't aligned with the proper timing mark the timing will have to be adjusted.

5. Loosen the distributor base clamp locknut. Turn the distributor slowly to adjust the timing, holding it by the body and not the cap. Turn the distributor in the direction of rotor rotation to retard, and against the direction of rotation to advance.
  6. Tighten the locknut. Check the timing again, in case the distributor moved slightly as you tighten it.
  7. Replace the distributor vacuum line.
  8. Stop the engine and disconnect the timing light.
V6-262 engine Engine firing order: 1-6-5-4-3-2 Distributor rotation: Clockwise
graphic

What other tuneup data can I give you??

Hope this helps.

Edited by david on 11/24/2010 at 8:21 AM EST