JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

1997 Chevrolet Lumina: steering column OR..steering wheel/air bag

Where is the dimmer switch location on a 1997 Chevrolet Lumina? Is it external, meaning it can be reached by removing the lower dash cover, brace plate and dropping the steering column OR will the steering wheel/air bag and directional switch have to be removed to gain acess? The directional switch is good.
After reviewing the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, it looks like an obvious place to probe seeing how it steers the current to either high or low beam.

See other recent postings by me for further details.

Thanks.
Hello , my name isXXXXX and thank you for choosing justanswer.com.

The dimmer switch is incorporated into the turn signal switch and if the headlamp do not dim or go to high the t/s switch is faulty.

If you have any more questions , please don't hesisitate to ask If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT

Happy Holidays and god bless.

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Please remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Hoop;

I have no headlights at all. I've seen the switch at the auto parts store. Again my quesrtion is:

Is the dimmer switch external, meaning it can be reached by removing the lower dash cover, brace plate and dropping the steering column OR will the steering wheel/air bag and directional switch have to be removed to gain acess? The directional switch is good. After reviewing the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, it looks like an obvious place to probe seeing how it steers the current to either high or low beam. See other recent postings by me for further details. Thanks.

I'm going to put your question back up and see if anybody else has any info on this. Sorry I couldn't help you further. I'm sure someone will be with you shortly. Happy Holidays........ Thanks again for choosing justanswer! JHoop.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My hope was to drop the column and probe the dimmer switch to ascertain it was indeed the dimmer switch. I'm hoping to cut just the switch out of a wreck, solder splice it in and not have to deal with steering wheel, air bag etc.
I'll relist your question.