Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

1999 Chevy Tahoe: you replace the intake manifold gasket..ltr

How do you replace the intake manifold gasket on a 1999 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.7 ltr engine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Below are directions:

1. NOTE
    Note the location of the manifold bolts and studs before removal for reassembly in their original positions.

NOTE
    Do not disassemble the Central Sequential Fuel Injection (CSFI) unit.

Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable
    Engine cover
    Air cleaner intake duct
    Coolant reservoir
    Wiring harness connectors and brackets
    Throttle linkage and bracket from the upper intake manifold
    Cruise control cable, if equipped
    Fuel lines and the bracket from the rear of the intake manifold
    Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve and hoses
    Ignition coil and bracket
    Purge solenoid and bracket

Intake manifold bolts and studs

Upper intake manifold

2. Clean the old gasket residue from both mating surfaces. Remove the following:

Distributor- make sure to matchmark the distibutor and the intake so that you reinstall correctly-do not crank over engine with it out
    Upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing
    Heater hose from the lower intake manifold
    Coolant bypass hose
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve
    Fuel pressure and return lines from the lower intake manifold
    Wiring harnesses and brackets from the lower manifold
    Left side valve cover
    Transmission oil level indicator and tube, if equipped
    EGR tube, clamp and bolt
    Air conditioning compressor and bracket, but do not disconnect the lines

3. Loosen the compressor mounting bracket and slide it forward, but do not remove it.

Power brake vacuum tube
    Lower intake manifold bolts and lower intake manifold

To install:

1. Clean all gasket surfaces completely.
  2. Install the intake manifold gaskets with the port blocking plates facing the rear. Factory gaskets should have the words This Side Up visible.
  3. Apply gasket sealer to the front and rear sealing surfaces of the engine block. Extend the sealer approximately 1 / 2 inch (13mm) onto the heads.
  4. Install the lower intake manifold.
  5. Apply sealer to the lower intake manifold bolts prior to installation.
  6. On the 5.0L and 5.7L engines, install the bolts and torque in sequence as follows:
    1. Step 1: 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
    2. Step 2: 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
    3. Step 3: 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).

7. Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Lower intake manifold bolt tightening sequence-5.0L and 5.7L engines

8. Install or connect the following:
    WARNING
    When installing the upper intake manifold be careful not to pinch the injector wires between the upper and lower intake manifolds.

Power brake vacuum tube
    PCV valve and hose
    EGR tube, clamp and bolt
    Left side valve cover
    Wiring harnesses and brackets to the lower manifold
    Fuel pressure and return lines to the lower intake manifold
    EGR valve
    Coolant bypass hose
    Heater hose to the lower intake manifold
    Upper radiator hose to the thermostat housing
    Air conditioning compressor and bracket
    Distributor
    Upper intake manifold gasket
    Upper intake manifold

Upper intake manifold mounting bolts/studs, torque in a crisscross pattern as follows:

1. Step 1: Torque the bolts/studs to 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
    2. Step 2: Torque the bolts/studs to 83 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

Purge solenoid and bracket
      Fuel lines and the bracket at the rear of the intake manifold
      Ignition coil and bracket
      Throttle linkage and bracket to the upper intake manifold
      Throttle linkage cable
      Cruise control cable, if equipped
      Wiring harness connectors and brackets
      Air cleaner intake duct
      Coolant recovery reservoir and the engine cover
      Negative battery cable

9. Start the vehicle and verify that there are no leaks.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

here are specifics for the distributor as this is the one most people end up having issues with on intake gasket replacement:

Distributor:

• Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Spark plug wires and the coil leads from the distributor Electrical connector at the base of the distributor Distributor cap
  • Matchmark the rotor-to-housing and housing-to-engine block positions so that they can be matched during installation.

Distributor hold-down bolt Distributor from the engine
  •  

Install or connect the following:

Distributor, aligning the matchmarks are properly alignment Distributor hold-down bolt Distributor cap Electrical connector at the base of the distributor Spark plug wires and coil leads Negative battery cable

Installation
    Timing Disturbed

1. Remove the No. 1 cylinder spark plug. Turn the engine using a socket wrench on the large bolt on the front of the crankshaft pulley. Place a finger near the No. 1 spark plug hole and turn the crankshaft until the piston reaches TDC. As the engine approaches TDC, you will feel air being expelled through the No. 1 cylinder spark plug hole. The timing mark on the crankshaft pulley should now be aligned with the 0 mark on the timing scale. If the position is not being met, turn the engine another full turn (360 degrees) Once the engines position is correct, install the spark plug.
      NOTE Before installation, position the rotor so it points to the No. 2 terminal on the cap. As the distributor is lowered into the engine, the rotor will rotate clockwise and stop at the No. 1 terminal. This is the desired position.
    2. Turn the rotor so that it will point to the No. 1 terminal of the distributor cap when it is fully seated in the engine.
    3. Install or connect the following:
      NOTE If the distributor will not seat completely in the engine, remove the distributor and align the groove on the top of the oil pump drive shaft with a long screwdriver to match the tab on the bottom of the distributor shaft. Reinstall the distributor.

Distributor. It may be necessary to turn the rotor a little in either direction, in order to engage the gears.
    4. Tap the starter a few times to ensure that the oil pump shaft is mated to the distributor shaft.
    5. Bring the engine to TDC again and check that the rotor is pointed toward the No. 1 terminal of the cap. If the marks are all aligned.
    6. Install or connect the following:

Hold-down bolt and tighten Cap and fasten the mounting screws Electrical connections and the spark plug wires

3. Install or connect the following:

6. Install or connect the following:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    Does the gasket set include gaskets for the EGR valve?
    Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you get the full intake manifold gasket set it should include the EGR gasket as well. I normally use Fel-pro, and they come with all the gaskets needed for this job.
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
    Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions feel free to ask for more help, otherwise you need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time, experience, or any factory directions or diagrams provide until you do so. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button to pay expert, although you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a great day