Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

My 99 c5 and it seems like I blew a circuit breaker..chime..clicking

I was jump starting my 99 c5 and it seems like I blew a circuit breaker to the starter. I still have power to the chime and it appears the ignition but nothing no clicking which it was doing previously just blank. Cand you help?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello,do itme like headlights, wipers, HVAC etc all work with key in RUN? and it just will not crank? why jump start? have you had problems with battery draining? pls lmk some added info. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I believe all the instruments com on I haven't reied headlights although I should have thought of that I leave the car for lon periods of time and the security system drains down the battery. brand new optima this spring. The starter did click click click before the last attempt at booster now just blank no sound like circuirt breaker tripped. I just dont know where or if there is one. I charged battery and came back to it and nothing but instruments horn etc. just blank when turned key to start ignition appeared to come on gauges and everything door chime etc. (NNN) NNN-NNNNmy number if you want to call Ron
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
There is not a circuit breaker. there are 2 MAXI fuses though. each are high amp like 60 amp each. Under the carpet on passender side where feet sit. You need to check fuses 50 and 52. If ok, turn headlights on. I really need to know if you have bright headlights and they do not dim when trying to crank. Alos, I need to know if security light is flashing wehn trying to crank?

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I put my money on fuses. I won't be able to address this untill Thursday since I relocated from my home in wisconsin where the car is to Iowa. I am in WI today but I have my kids 3 small ones but I could probably wrangle up a buddy to help while I look at the fuses battery probably dead by know again since it's been 3weeks since I tried this. is there a way I can contact you later this afternoon after it warms up outside? email or whatever? so the fuses in the engine compartment aren't involved?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
No, just 2 fuses on the INSIDE of car. You need to check or at least swap thos 2 fuses. We are not permitted to call per JA rules. Also need to be working with a good charged battery. It is possible with a battery problem, even jumping does not work at times as the bad battery , say a cell is drawing the jump current to battery instead of through car. Best to charge with charger. Check those headlights and fuses. None under hood will affect this. lastly, If you have meter or testklight, you probe the SMALl wire going to starter at starter while turning key to CRANK. if power there, you could have a starter problem. LMK. I will be on/off all day and into this evening

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have everything I will check the fuses today with my kids in tow and yes the last time i tried the battery was fully charged I will go there and get it charging this morning and pull fuses check them and replace if necessary (I hope so) charge battery then come back in afternoon to try. thank you
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
LMK, thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Are you back to this post now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, sorry for the fuse info but.. on my end, in the repair info, the fuses that it could have been are located inside. In any event, what you have happening is the security system is not allowing the engine to start. When the PASS KEY system is activated, the computer shuts doen the firing of the fuel injetcors. You will get it to start for a few seconds as pump primes but then the injectors will not puls. this is antitheft to prevent stealing the car. the big problem is what happened? This is not something I can answer. A scan tool is needed to fully diagnose. It could be the key, the modul or one of 2 computers. Without scan tool, you can only try the lrelearn procedure. If this does not work, you will then have to have a scan tool hooked up to reprogram it. best I can offer right now.

1. Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes .
  2. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds .
  3. Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes .
  4. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds .
  5. Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF for 11 minutes or until DTC P1630 sets.
  6. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds .
  7. Turn ON the ignition leaving the engine OFF and wait 30 seconds .
  8. Attempt to start the engine.

IMPORTANT: Performing this procedure may cause a DTC P1630 to set. If a DTC P1630 sets, turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds , then turn ON the ignition.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist