Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

trailblazer: problem with the lifter making it have a knocking sound

does the o4 trailblazer have a problem with the lifter making it have a knocking sound?

A lifter acting up can cause a knocking sound.but usually its more of a ticking sound.does the noise increase with engine speed?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
is this engine a 4.2 or a 5.3 ?did this happen all of the sudden?something that slowly got worse over time?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

IT IS THE 4.2. IT HAS 134000 ON IT. IVE OWNED IT SINCE NEW CAHNGED OIL EVERY 3500 TO 4000. RAN CASTROL 10W 30. TWO WEEKS AGO I CHECKED THE OIL BECAUSE I HEARD THIS SOUND & IT WAS 3 QUARTS LOW. I HAVENT FOUND ANY LEAKS OR CAUSES FOR THE OIL TO BE GONE. I SERVICED IT & IT SEEMED TO GO AWAY FOR A FEW DAYS THEN MY WIFE SAID IT CAME BACK. TOOK IT TO THE CHEVY PLACE & THEY SAID THE WATER PUMP HAD SLACK & LIFTERS WERE BAD. I REPLACED THE PUMP LAST NIGHT MY SELF & BUT WASN'T SURE ABOUT THE LIFTER ISSUE. IT SOUND AS IF IT IS COMING FROM AROUND THE INTAKE AREA

well what you can do is try to get those old lifters to pump back up.add a can of engine restore and see if that quiets them up.if it does then when or if the noise comes back you will need to replace the lifters.what you can do if the noise is still there even after the additive is listen with a stethoscope and narrow down the noise and make sure it is under the valve cover and NOT anything deeper.remove the valve cover and inspect which lifter or rocker is loose.here are where the lifters are.the cam shafts have to come out to do this.it is a very time consuming job without special tools.graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK ILL TRY THAT. HOW MANY HOURS DO YOU BILL FOR THIS REPAIR.

7 hours at what ever the shops labor rate is.the rate varies from shop to shop.