Hal
Hal, Chevy Master Tech
Experience:  ASE and Chevy Master , 31yr Dealership exp,
39646262

can i replace my evo power steering pump with a non evo ,changed the sensor worked &#

can i replace my evo power steering pump with a non evo ,changed the sensor worked only for a short time
steering is very sensative all steering componet have been replaced what is the evo elimination kit from gm
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Greetings, my name is Mark.

I will do my best to help you. Please do not accept my answer unless you can leave positive feedback. It is important to me that I have helped you and you are satisfied with my answer. I don't know if you are a tech or just a person who is attempting to repair their own vehicle. I only know as much about your issue as you have told me on your post. My answers will be based on the amount of information I am reading. Try to give me as much detail as you can, so we can accurately solve your problem.

What exactly do you mean "the steering is very sensitive"?

What exactly is your problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the steering has no feeling at high speeds and what i have read ,it seems as though the power steering pump is stuck on idle mode(very easy to steer 100% output) i have replaced many parts upper lower ball joints idler most all of the front end parts, i've also changed the sensor on the colum under the dash . it seemed to be better for the first 100 miles then changed back , it has gotten better with all the new parts put still isn't right it has been aligned and checked by a shop also. you just have to hold the steering wheel with both hands to feel comfortable. If you go into a lane shift the wheel will vear on the uneven surface the wheelbearings are good, I am not a certified mechanic but i've worked on alot of vehicles i am an instrument controls tech in a large chemical company. i was hopeing to eliminate the evo setup with a standard ps pump the made both versions in 1997 the truck has 42k original miles the tires are brand new
Expert:  Hal replied 4 years ago.

Hi my name is Hal.

If I may offer a way to eliminate the EVO sensor that has worked for me in solving the light steering feel that is cause by a faulty EVO steering sensor.

We cut the wire at the EVO sensor and install two 10,000 ohm resistors , one on the red to the green wire and one on the gray to the green wire.

This keep the voltage low and eliminates the input from the steering wheel so the evo system takes no action. The pump does not have to be modified.

It has been about 6 yrs since i have repaired one with this method, but it works.

Here is the diagram to make the adapter up.

Thanks

Hal

graphic

Hal, Chevy Master Tech
Experience: ASE and Chevy Master , 31yr Dealership exp,