Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2004 Chevy Tahoe: w/ 5.3 engine, it cranks but wont start..tool

on a 2004 Chevy Tahoe w/ 5.3 engine, it cranks but won't start. I have seen a DTC code of B1055 on a tool reading the DTC's. Is there a sensor that is my problem???
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

this is a code for the radio..i don't think this is why it wont start......tell me how and when this problem first started happening....does the security light stay on?tell me all you can

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The vehicle ran fine until I shut it down This Thursday PM. Tried to start it last night, Friday. It cranks and tries to start, but maybe fires once and shuts down immediately. The battery is charged. I see an icon of "Engine" on my dash panel.

ok

how about a security light..do you see it on?have you had any trouble before this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not noticed a security light, I assume it would be on the dash panel. I have not had any other troubles. I have had a CD problem with the radio. I did disconnect the battery this morning to charge it back up to 100%.

ok

you need to check the fuel pressure...it sounds as though the fuel pump may be weak..these must have no less than 55psi at all times

thanks

B1055

DTC B1055

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
When the radio is powered up, the radio supplies low level audio signals to the speakers. If the vehicle is equipped with an audio amplifier, the amplifier will boost the signal sent to the speakers.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
The test is performed when the radio switches from OFF to ON. The radio will continue to test for the fault once every 0.5 seconds .

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The radio sets a current status for this DTC when a short to ground or voltage is detected on any of the speaker channels for 1.5 seconds .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS
No sound is present from one or more of the speakers.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE DTC
The fault condition is not present for 5 seconds .

TEST DESCRIPTION

Steps 1-6
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. This step verifies that the DTC is still present.
  2. This step isolates the fault condition.

Fuel Pressure Gage Installation and Removal

FUEL PRESSURE GAGE INSTALLATION AND REMOVAL

TOOLS REQUIRED
J 34730-1A Fuel Pressure Gage

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Remove the engine sight shield.
  2. Remove the fuel rail pressure fitting cap.
  3. Connect the J 34730-1A to the fuel pressure valve. Wrap a shop towel around the fitting while connecting the gage in order to avoid spillage.
  4. Install the bleed hose on J 34730-1A into an approved container.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the bleed hose on the J 34730-1A from the approved container.
  2. Remove the shop towel from around the fitting and discard into an approved container.
  3. Disconnect the J 34730-1A from the fuel pressure valve.
  4. Install the fuel rail pressure fitting cap.
  5. Install the engine sight shield.

Fuel System Diagnosis

SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
The PCM enables the fuel pump relay when the ignition switch is turned ON. The PCM will disable the fuel pump relay within two seconds unless the PCM detects ignition reference pulses. The PCM continues to enable the fuel pump relay as long as ignition reference pulses are detected. The PCM disables the fuel pump relay within two seconds if ignition reference pulses cease to be detected and the ignition remains ON.

The fuel tank stores the fuel supply. The electric fuel pump supplies fuel through an in-line fuel filter to the fuel injection system. The pump provides fuel at a higher rate of flow than is needed by the fuel injection system. The fuel pressure regulator maintains the correct fuel pressure to the fuel injection system. A separate pipe returns unused fuel to the fuel tank.

TEST DESCRIPTION

Steps 1-2
Step 3
Steps 4-6
Steps 7-9
Step 10
Steps 11-13
Steps 14-15
Step 16
Steps 17-19
Steps 20-25

1. This step tests for an internal fuel leak.
  2. This step tests the fuel pump check valve for a leak down condition.
  3. This step tests the fuel pressure regulator.
  1. This step tests for a loss of fuel pressure between the fuel feed pipe shut-off adapter and the fuel pump.
  2. This step tests for a leaking fuel injector or for a leaking fuel pressure regulator.
  1. This step tests for a restricted fuel return pipe.
  1. This step determines if the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump is the cause of the low fuel pressure.
  1. This step verifies that a circuit condition is not the cause of a fuel pressure concern.
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your diagnosis. I think you were right on.

Ron Peek
you are welcome..thanks for using justanswer