George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

How do I program my key fob on my 2006 malibu

Customer Question

how do I program my key fob on my 2006 malibu
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You will need a Tech2 scantool and a CANDi module to program the keyfob on this system - sorry but it is not user programable as a security feature so that a thief cannot do a sequence of actions and have a programmed fob. An AC Delco shop or the dealer will be required to program your FOB.

If you had the scantool this is the procedure that will be followed

TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

IMPORTANT: All transmitters that are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode, all previously programmed transmitters will be erased upon receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter.

Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle. The order in which the transmitters are programmed is important. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. Use care to program the transmitters correctly.

The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed. All doors must be closed to perform this function.

1. Install CANDI module.
  2. Install a scan tool.
  3. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
  4. With the scan tool, select Body and Accessories.
  5. Select Keyless Entry.
  6. Select the proper engine size.
  7. Select Module Setup.
  8. Select body control module (BCM).
  9. Select Program Key Fobs.
  10. Follow scan tool on screen instructions.
  11. If you are programming more than one transmitter, repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
  12. Remove the scan tool.
  13. Exit the vehicle. Attempt to lock/unlock the doors to verify the programming.
  14. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Let me know what further questions you have about this

Thank you