George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Pickup: coil..a Chevrolet 1500, with 5.7L V8..shaft

Trying to change the pickup coil on a Chevrolet 1500, with 5.7L V8 TBI. How do I remove the reluctor? It appears to have a bit of rust around the shaft, and at this point will not pry off. Does it pry off?

Thanks

Hello I will help you with your question,

The reluctor does not pry off the shaft, if you need to replae it is better to get a quality rebuilt if yours is rusted (common problem) Look out for the cheap rebuilds and keep your old one until you get one that works properly

Click here for diagram

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Then how do you get to the pickup coil?

Thanks for your help

You punch the pin from the drive gear (mark which way the gear goes on the shaft) and pull the gear off then press the shaft up out of the bushings in the distributor body. You can buy a rebuilt distributor with module for the price of the pickup.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help.

I took your advice and bought another distributor that had the components. Cost a bit more but much better than taking the other apart.

Problem now is the truck won't start. I ran out of time yesterday since I was changing plugs, wires, filters, etc. After putting it all back together it wouldn't start. Possibly the timing is way off.

Will check my wires tonight. I did them one at a time, don't think they are wrong but will double check. Any recommendations on setting the timing, as I feel this is the start problem?

I will accept the answer from yesterday and will leave bonus. Thanks for the help!

For the timing you will put the engine to TDC on the compression stroke of #1 cylinder and stab the distributor so that the rotor is pointing to #1 cylinder spark plug wire tower. This will get it close enough to start. Remember that you can be 180 out on the crank so event though the mark on the balancer is at the 0 degree mark on the timing tab #1 cylinder can be on the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke so you need to pull the spark plug and feel for the compression as the piston come to the top of its stroke. You then know that you are on the right cycle.

Let me know if you need a better explanation of how to do this.

Thanks