Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1999 Chevy Silverado Change Front Wheel Bearing

1999 chevy silverado 2500 6.0l Trying to change the rt. front wheel bearing, and I can't seem to get the lower ball joint out....any secret ya care to share w/ me?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

first, why are you trying to take the lower ball joint out? It doesnt need to be disconnected in order to remove the hub bearing assembly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well, fine time to tell me that now....actualy, I let the wife borrow the computer for a while.....and while i didn't have the 'puter,.... well, I guess I'm trying to say it kinda needs to come out, now......

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Below are directions for the hub bearing assembly replacement.

FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS/HUB

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

NOTICE: Refer to Bearing Seal Damage Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Remove the rotor.
  4. Remove the wheel speed sensor and brake hose mounting bracket bolt from the steering knuckle.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connection for the wheel speed sensor. Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement (RWD) in Anti-Lock brakes.
  6. Remove the hub and bearing assembly mounting bolts (15 Series).

1. Remove the hub and bearing assembly mounting bolts (25 Series).
  2. Remove the hub and bearing assembly.
  3. Remove the O-ring seal from the steering knuckle bore (25 Series).
  4. Clean and inspect the O-ring seal (25 Series).
  5. Replace the seal if the following conditions exist:
    • Nicks
    • Cuts
    • Dry or brittle
    • Compression set

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Clean all corrosion or contaminates from the steering knuckle bore and the hub and bearing assembly.
  2. Install the O-ring to the steering knuckle (25 Series).
  3. Lubricate the steering knuckle bore with wheel bearing grease or the equivalent.
  4. Install the hub and bearing assembly.
  5. Install the hub and bearing assembly mounting bolts (15 Series). Install the hub and bearing assembly mounting bolts (25 Series).

NOTICE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

• Tighten the hub to knuckle bolts to 180 Nm (133 ft. lbs.) .

1. Connect the electrical connection for the wheel speed sensor.
  2. Install the wheel speed sensor and brake hose mounting bracket bolt to the steering knuckle.
    • Tighten the bolt to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.) .
  1. Install the rotor.
  2. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Remove the safety stands.
  4. Lower the vehicle.

NOTE: if the front hub bearing assembly doesnt want to slide out easily, you can remove it in a couple of different ways. 1) re-install the retaining bolts for the hub bearing assembly about halfway, then place a socket and extension over the bolt heads and alternate between them hitting the extension with a hammer. This will force the hub bearing assembly out. 2) attach a hub puller and slide hammer to the lug studs on the hub and yank out with slide hammer.

To separate the lower balljoint from the spindle, I spray the joint with PB Blast and then use a 2lb hammer to hit the spindle at the lower ball joint connection to pop it loose
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.