Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

2003 tahoe: wont will not stay running

My 2003 tahoe wont start. It will turnover, gurgle a little bit then stop. I can do this over and over and it will not stay running. This has been occurring gradually over the past 45 days. It started by taking two cranks to start on the second and then so forth until it won't stay running at all. What can I do?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
Can you hear the fuel pump run for a second or two after you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What would it sound like? It gets a little fuel but not enough. I hit it with a squirt of starter fluid and it ran bad for about 30 seconds than stopped.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
It is a buzz from the fuel tank, but if it did that with starting fluid then your fuel pump is bad. That was going to be the next thing I told you to try.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the fuel pump difficult to change out? Where is the fuel filter? Could that be it?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
It is the fuel pump, very common I'm afraid. It is mounted in the fuel tank and is not exceptionally hard to change, but if you have a full tank of gas it makes it a lot tougher. The fuel filter is mounted along the frame rail near the tank, and it would not hurt to change it when you do the pump, but the pump is the issue.