Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications
3077897

Hi, I have a gurgling sound coming from my engine

I have a gurgling sound coming from my engine on a 1994 corvette. The water is full and the temp hovers around 220 while driving. The second fan kicks on at about 230 degrees. I had an opti spark dist replaced about 3 months ago. The car only has 33000 miles .
Thanks, Paul
Hello and thank you for using just answer my name isXXXXX is your power steering? check the fluid or for leaks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
power steering is full and the engine compartment is dry
Ok take the Belt off the motor start the car and see if you still have noise. While its off spin all componets to look for bad bearings. Pay special att. to the water pump for play.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The noise is there when the engine is off. It sounds like water going down a drain.
HI, when you shut it off put your hand on the radiator hoses and heater hoses and see if you feel it there. Thanks Eric
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can feel it pulsating in the lower radiator hose.
Okay, that tells me we have air trapped in the system, or even possible a small head gasket leak causing combution gas to enter the cooling system. Either of these can cause the problem. You said you had the opti spark setup? Well the waterpump had to be removed for that repair so i am suspecting air trapped. They are a harder system to bleed because of the hose layout. I would first remove a heater hose, hold it up high and pour coolant into the hose, while the radiator cap is off. Keep adding coolant or water until it starts to push it out of the radiator. Put the hose back on, trying not to loose too much. Then leave cap off start the engine, heater on full hot, and warm it up, When it reaches normal temp, have someone hold the rpm up to about 1500, while you top off the radiator and then install the cap. Then drive and see what it does. Let me know Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You said pour water into the heater hose until it starts to push out of the radiator. Do I take the upper hose off the radiator to see this? There is also a bleeder valve on the thermostat housing, would that help?
Thanks,Paul
No just remove the radiator cap. Yes i forgot about the bleeder, after you do the backfill i described and get it all together, start engine, full heat, let it warm then, with cap back on open that bleeder and let it run out for a few seconds. You may have to repeat this several times. Let me know, Thanks, Eric
Did you get it figured out? Let me know, thanks Eric
Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience: ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications