Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Chevrolet S10 trying to find out what the ground wires are

Customer Question

trying to find out what the ground wires are like what color and how many there are on a 1993 Chevy s10 with a 2.8 v6 stick shift pickup 2wd
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Do you mean the engine gorund wires or the ground wires ot the inejctors?

WOuld you like some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

any ideals you have on what the problem is would be great but i talked to a mechanic and he said he has had this problem before and that what he said to do was find the ground for the injectors and reground them and see if it works and if that doesnt work reground the ecm and tha should fix it so i was wanting to find out what wires comming off the ecm were ground wires and what wire from the injectors is the ground wire

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Ok... well, he is close... but there is a bit more.

First, we need to see if the engine runs on starting fluid when this happens, if so, then we know that it is a fuel delivery concern. If the fuel pressure is up to par when the engine stalls and does not start, then we go after the fuel injectors and why they are no getting grounded by the PCM to operate.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i have run wiers straight from the battery to the injectors and started the truck to test that and the truck ran but it ran at full throttle and i have replaced the fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator and the fuel filter and the fuel pump and the injectors run when the key is in the on position but not in the on postion and i have changed the the lock cylinder and the ignition switch
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. can you get it to act up?

DO you have access to a scanner that can read live data?

Are there any anti theft lights or security lights on or flashing on the dash?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there are not any lights on the dash and i have a scaner but my truck is a 1993 and my scaner is for newer cars and there is no anti theft system on the truck
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?

Do you have 5 volts at the tps with the key on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the light is not on when the key is in the on postionand i am not by the truck right now so i will have to check on the volts and just to be clear by tps you mean throttle postion sensor

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
YES... if you can that would be great!

Let me know!

I will be waiting for your response!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok will get back to you as soon as possible
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Sounds good!