Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Chevrolet K2500 4x4 WHERE IS THE RADIATOR DRAIN PLUG ON A

Customer Question

WHERE IS THE RADIATOR DRAIN PLUG ON A 2004 CHEVY P.U. 2500 HD W/8.1 ENGINE
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

GM no longer has radiators with drain plugs. For some reason the engineers and designers decided to eliminate it. In order to drain the radiator, the lower hose has to be disconnected from the radiator. to do a full drain including the engine block, then a plug has to be removed from the block. below is gm's directions to drain and fill now:

2004 Chevy Truck Silverado 2500 4WD V8-8.1L VIN G

Draining and Filling Cooling System

Draining and Filling Cooling System (without HP2)

• Tools Required
  • J 26568 Coolant and Battery Tester
  • J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

Draining Procedure

Caution: To avoid being burned, do not remove the radiator cap or surge tank cap while the engine is hot. The cooling system will release scalding fluid and steam under pressure if radiator cap or surge tank cap is removed while the engine and radiator are still hot.

1. Follow the steps below in order to remove the surge tank fill cap.
  1. Slowly rotate the cap counterclockwise.
  2. Stop rotating and allow the hissing to stop.
  3. After all the hissing stops, continue turning counterclockwise in order to remove the cap.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Place a drain pan under the lower radiator hose.
  3. Using the J 38185, reposition the lower radiator hose clamp.
  4. Remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator.
  5. Drain the cooling system.

1. If a complete engine block drain is required, remove the left and right engine block coolant drain plugs.
  2. Remove the engine block coolant heater, if equipped.
  3. Inspect the coolant.
  4. Follow the appropriate procedure based on the condition of the coolant.
    • Normal in appearance—Follow the filling procedure.
    • Discolored—Follow the flush procedure.

Filling Procedure

1. Notice: The procedure below must be followed. Improper coolant level could result in a low or high coolant level condition, causing engine damage.

Install the lower radiator hose to the radiator.

1. Using the J 38185 reposition the lower radiator hose clamp.
  2. If the left and right engine block coolant drain plugs were removed, perform the following.
  1. Apply pipe sealer to the drain plugs.
  2. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Install the drain plugs.
Tighten the drain plugs to 60 Nm (44 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the engine block coolant heater, if equipped.
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  3. Open the cooling system bleeder screws.
  4. Important: Use a 50/50 mixture of DEX-COOL antifreeze and clean, drinkable water.

Slowly fill the cooling system with a 50/50 coolant mixture. Refer to Capacities - Approximate Fluid in Maintenance and Lubrication.

1. Close the cooling system bleeder screws.
  2. Install the coolant pressure cap.
  3. Start the engine.
  4. Run the engine at 2,000-2,500 RPM until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
  5. Allow the engine to idle for 3 minutes.
  6. Shut the engine OFF.
  7. Allow the engine to cool.
  8. Top off the coolant as necessary.
  9. Inspect the concentration of the engine coolant using the J 26568.
  10. Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the engine compartment.

Edited by eric on 11/8/2010 at 6:29 PM EST
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

GM no longer has radiators with drain plugs on all its vehicles. For some reason the engineers and designers decided to eliminate it. In order to drain the radiator, the lower hose has to be disconnected from the radiator. to do a full drain including the engine block, then a plug has to be removed from the block. below is gm's directions to drain and fill now:

Draining and Filling Cooling System

• Tools Required
  • J 26568 Coolant and Battery Tester
  • J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

Draining Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  5. Drain the cooling system.

View Full Image

3. Inspect the coolant.

Filling Procedure

Install the drain plugs.

2. Lower the vehicle.

2. Install the coolant pressure cap.
  3. Start the engine.
  6. Shut the engine OFF.
  7. Allow the engine to cool.
  8. Top off the coolant as necessary.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for more help or clarification. Otherwise, please click the accept button so that expert is paid for their time, experience, and any factory directions or diagrams provided. If you have a subscription plan, you still need to click the accept button, but you are not charged again. Thank you and have a good day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Othe same truck I want to replace my spark plugs the boot will not come off the spark plug. How do i remove them w/ out damage to the boot
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

You need to first accept the correct answer given for first question you asked as this is not a related question. Once you do that, I will be happy to answer the 2nd question as a free followup, but technically you are supposed to pay for the first question, and then if a 2nd unrelated question post a new question and pay for that. Sorry, but we have to follow JA's set guideline, and this is the only way we are paid.

again, once you accept the first answer i will be glad to guide you thru removing the spark plug wires at no further charge this time.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

1. Disconnect the spark plug wire at the spark plug
  • Twist the spark plug wire 1/2 turn.
  • Pull only on the boot in order to remove the wire from the spark plug
you will find using sprak plug wire removal tool much easier in this:

graphic

Please note that if you have a subscription plan, you still need to click the accept button, but you are NOT charged again. Poor accept rates will result in experts no longer willing to answer future questions as they know they will not be paid for their services.

Edited by eric on 11/8/2010 at 9:38 PM EST