Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Chevrolet Blazer How do I remove the hazard switch on a 2000

Customer Question

How do I remove the hazard switch on a 2000 blazer
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
do you need to just replace the hazard red button its self?or the complete hazard switch assembly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the red button broke off and came out and now I cant shut the hazard light off
I think part of the red button is stuck in the bottom of the switch carrier
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

you can try to look down into where it broke off and use something similar to a dentists pick and try to snap and pop out the broken piece in there.fiddling with a screw driver may shut them off if you catch the switch in there just right.if none of those will work you will have to replace the multi function switch assembly.

1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in Air Bag Systems.
  2. Ensure the turn signal lever on the multifunction switch is in the neutral position or the OFF position.
  3. Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators.
  4. Loosen the steering column bracket nuts.
  5. Remove the steering column upper and lower trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle.
  6. Remove the 2 wire harness straps from the steering column wire harness.
  7. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer from the auto trans shift lock control.
  8. Disconnect the steering column bulkhead connector from the vehicle wire harness.
  9. Disconnect the gray and the black connectors of the switch from the column bulkhead connector.
  10. Remove the 2 TORX head screws from the multifunction switch.
  11. Remove the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.
    • Use a small blade screwdriver in order to compress the electrical contact. Move the multifunction switch into the position.
    • Ensure the electrical contact rests on the canceling cam assembly.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the multifunction switch to steering column mounting screws.
    • Tighten the multifunction switch mounting screws to 6 Nm (53 inch lbs.) .
  1. Install the connectors of the switch to the column bulkhead connector.
  2. Install the steering column bulkhead connector to the vehicle wire harness.
  3. Install the connector and the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer to the auto trans shift lock control.
  4. Install the 2 wire straps on the steering column wire harness.
  5. Tighten the steering column bracket nuts.
    • Tighten the steering column bracket nuts to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the steering column upper and lower trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle.
  2. Install the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators.
  3. Ensure the lever is in the center or the OFF position.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I fugured out how to get the guts out of the switch.

How about this for 15 bucks I'll tell you how and we'll call it even.Smile

Now hat the guts are out, the hazards quit flashing but te turn signals don't work so I'll have to replace the guts, does chevy sell just the guts?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
the reason you lost your turn signals now is the design of that switch either sends the power threw the hazard side or the turn signal side.depending on where that switch is pushed in or out.and since the guts are out it can not send it threw either path.now is this the guts you removed?graphic

Edited by GNwrench on 11/8/2010 at 6:09 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

ok years ago we had a recall and we changed those switches.follow this procedure here and if it apply go to a dealer and buy that part.the part number is XXXXX for that little button assembly.try this if this does not fix it you need a new multi function switch assembly.how about THAT for 15 bux !Cool

Remove the screw attaching the upper steering column cover to the steering column and remove the upper cover.

12.Inspect the part number (1) on the multifunction switch at the location shown in the illustration.

^If the part number is XXXXX or 26100838, no repair is required. Proceed to the section titled "Reassemble Vehicle".

^If there is NO part number or barcode on the switch, or if the part number is XXXXX or 26083636, proceed to the next step and replace the hazard warning flasher switch using part number 15174447.

^If the part number or barcode on the switch is 26090641, 26090642, 26096832, or 26096833, proceed to the next step and replace the hazard warning flasher switch using part number 15177379.

Important: Carefully review the above illustration to determine the exact location to insert the screwdriver in the next step.

13.Insert a small, pocket-sized, flat bladed screwdriver (2) into the small space between the hazard warning flasher switch housing (1) and the multifunction switch (3).

14.Carefully tilt the screwdriver handle towards the instrument cluster. This will cause the blade of the screwdriver to pry open the space between the hazard warning flasher switch housing and the multifunction switch.

Important: When removing the hazard warning flasher switch in the next step, the horn may sound momentarily.

15.While the space is pried open, pull the hazard warning flasher switch out of the multifunction switch. Discard the hazard warning flasher switch.

Important: Do not touch the three triangle-shaped electrical contacts (1) on the side of the switch when removing the protective packaging, handling or applying grease to the new hazard warning flasher switch in the next steps.

16.Remove the rubber band and protective plastic wrapping from the new hazard warning flasher switch.

Important: The electrical contacts on the new hazard warning flasher switch require a special lubricant, which is included in the kit. Only apply this special lubricant as instructed in the next step. Do NOT use any other type of grease or lubricant.

17.Open the container of special grease included in the kit and apply it to the surfaces of the three triangle-shaped electrical contacts (1) on the side of the new hazard waning flasher switch. When properly applied, the surfaces of the three triangle-shaped electrical contacts must be completely covered and there should be no grease left in the container. Do NOT put any grease in the opening that contains the small metal return spring.

Important: When installing the hazard warning flasher switch in the next step, the horn may sound momentarily.

18.Insert the hazard warning flasher switch into the opening of the multifunction switch and press down until it locks into place.

19.Remove any excess grease that may appear around the base of the hazard flasher switch. Proceed to the next section "Reassemble Vehicle".
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This should be the last question where is the screw for the upper columncover, I saw one screw on the bottom is that it?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
yes one on the bottom.then it should pop down towards the steering wheel side then push back to unlock the rear u style clips and it will come out.then there should be 2 inverted torx screws holding the top cover to the column.look up with a flash light for the one near the ignition lock
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
got it off thanks, XXXXX XXXXX 15 bucks well spent
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
anytime thanks for using justanswer