JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

Chevrolet Impala My fan will not turn off even when the key

Customer Question

My fan will not turn off even when the key is not in the ignition. It is stuck on high. We replaced the blower motor resistor and that was not it. Help!!!
Submitted: 4 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Hello , my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

What is the engine size? Do you have a scanner that reads data?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Engine size is 180hp 3.4L and no we do not have a scanner that reads data.
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Do you have auto temperature controls? Dual zone?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No there are no auto temperature controls and no dual zone.
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
When the blower continues to run will the radio play?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. When the key is out of the ignition nothing works but the fan.
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Great info. The blower switch is bad or the gray / black wire from the control unit is shorted to ground..The A/c control panel must be replaced as there is no relay to stick closed.

If you have any more questions or need any diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

If you have a deposit but did not click ACCEPT you will STILL be charged if you do not request a refund by e-mailing info@just answer.com . Not clicking ACCEPT does not help the Techs that help you!

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Please remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have already replaced the blower motor resistor. Are you referring to the control panel on the dash?

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Yes. The blower signal is a ground signal from the control panel and unless someone created this issue, you have a bad A/c dash control unit. JHoop
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are we talking about the control unit that we control? Where we change from A/C to Heat? Also is this something that can be bought at a junkyard or auto parts store or would we have to go to a dealer?

You have been very helpful.

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Get a new GM unit from the dealer. There was a bad run of parts and if you get a used one it may happen again.

I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. I hope this helps you.

If you need more help, please ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just one more question. Have you done this before? If I was able to replace the blower motor resistor do you think that I would be able to do this? thanks so much for your help!!!
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Sure, it is an easy replacement. The bezel can be had with a small rubber coated screwdriver or your fingers if that strong. Pop the bezel off and there are 4 screws (7mm) and the control comes out.

I will keep your question open. You can get back to me anytime answering any e-mail sent to you related to this question or by logging into your JA account. Thanks again, JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You were very helpful. Thank you very much!!!Smile
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Any issues I will be here, JHoop