GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Chevrolet HHR LS: 2007 HHR intermittent power steering failure.

2007 HHR intermittent power steering failure. Rekeying usually fixes for awhile, then fails again. 45,000 miles. Eh?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'm Cam. May I ask your first name?
I am working to get you a fast accurate answer. About your vehicle, this sounds like the usual issue with the steering columns. The torque sensors fail and set codes. Cycling the key resets the codes for that ignition cycle. This will require the replacement of the steering column. If you can, post your VIN and I can see if there is a recall or special policy that will cover this.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alan. What is typical cost of repair, parts and labor.

The part is around 400 and about 100 for labour at a guess. Now the parts cost may be a touch higher or lower, and also the labour rate may change.

Still get me the VIN so I can check for you. I would not want to see you pay when GM may have this covered.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
VIN 3GNDA13087S609334
First off, you have 2 open recalls so go and talk to your dealer. However I do not see any policy or recall about the steering. So go in and tell them your issue, tell the service manager that you know there is issues with these and ask for Goodwill Warranty.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I will go to Chevy today and if I don't get help I will get parts and DIY.