John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

2004 chevy impala: the steering wheel..turn signal switch..loose..tilt

How do you get the cover off of the steering wheel on a 2004 chevy impala. I am trying replace my turn signal switch. I got the cover loose , but the tilt wheel switch will not let me get it off. My turn signals work sometimes and then don't work. I have been pushing my hazard light switch and the flashers work and then my turn signals work for a while and the quit again until I push the hazard switch.
Thank you

Stan Nemec

email;[email protected]

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Here is information to help you.

Steering Wheel Replacement

Tools Required

Steering Wheel Puller
Steering Wheel Puller Legs

1. Disable the SIR system.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition.
  3. Remove the Inflatable restraint steering wheel module. Scribe an alignment mark on the steering wheel hub. Align the mark with the slash mark on the steering shaft.
    Object Number: 294367  Size: SH

4. Loosen the steering wheel nut.
  5. Position the steering wheel nut flush with the end of the steering shaft.
    Object Number: 255213  Size: SH

6. Assemble on the steering wheel.
  7. Use special tools in order to unseat the steering wheel from the steering shaft.
  8. Remove special tools from the steering wheel.
  9. Remove the steering shaft nut.
  10. Remove the steering wheel from the steering shaft.
  11. Remove the SIR connector from the steering wheel.

Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement

1. Disable the SIR system. .

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

For Vehicles equipped with OnStar® (UE1) with Back Up Battery:

The Back Up Battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited OnStar® functionality in the event of a main vehicle battery power disruption to the VCIM (OnStar®module). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the driver door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is On or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

2. Disconnect the battery negative cable. Remove the steering wheel. Remove the gap hider. Object Number: 603840  Size: SH

3. Put the steering column in the CENTER position.
  4. Remove the tilt lever (1).
    Object Number: 603837  Size: SH

5. Remove the retaining screws (3) from the lower steering column trim cover.
  6. Disconnect the closeout trim cover from the lower steering column trim cover.
    Object Number: 603845  Size: SH

7. Remove the retaining screw (2) from the upper steering column trim cover (1).
    Object Number: 375310  Size: SH

8. Lift the upper trim cover to gain access to the lock cylinder access hole.
  9. Using a bent tip awl, insert the tip into the access hole in the ignition lock cylinder.
    Object Number: 375316  Size: SH

10. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the START position.
  11. Using the bent tip awl push down on the retaining pin of the ignition lock cylinder.
  12. Release the ignition lock cylinder to the RUN position and remove the lock cylinder.
  13. Remove the upper trim cover.
  14. Remove the closeout trim cover from the upper trim cover.

Turn Signal Multifunction Switch Replacement

.

Object Number: 415293  Size: SH

1. Disable the SIR system. Remove the steering wheel. .
  2. Remove the upper and lower trim covers.

Important: The abrasion sleeve located on the steering column wire harness assembly must be reinstalled. Make note of what connector is coming out of the abrasion sleeve for installation purposes.

3. Remove the wire harness assembly (1) from the wire harness strap (2).
  4. Disconnect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector from the SIR system coil connector.
    Object Number: 306234  Size: SH

5. Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly out of the bulkhead connector (1).
    Object Number: 664256  Size: SH

6. Remove the 2 pan head tapping screws (1) and (3) from the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2).
  7. Remove the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) from the steering column tilt head assembly.

Object Number: 664256  Size: SH

1. Install the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) onto the steering column tilt head assembly.

Important: Be sure that the electrical contact of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) rests on the turn signal cancel cam assembly.

2. Screw the 2 pan head tapping screws (1) and (3) into the turn signal and multifunction assembly (2).

Tighten

Tighten the top pan head tapping screw (1) to 3 N·m (27 lb in).
    Tighten the side pan head tapping screw (3) to 7 N·m (62 lb in).

Object Number: 306234  Size: SH

3. Slide the 2 connectors (2) of the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly into the bulkhead connector (1).
    Object Number: 415293  Size: SH

4. Connect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector to the SIR coil connector.

Important: The abrasion sleeve must be installed back onto the steering column wire harness assembly. The ignition lock cylinder case wires and connector must be hanging out of the middle of the abrasion sleeve.

5. Install the wire harness assembly (1) into the wire harness strap (2).
  6. Install the upper and lower trim covers. Install the steering wheel.
  7. Enable the SIR system.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Should I be looking at replacing the hazard switch rather than the turn signal switch being as the turn signals work when I push the hazard switch? . I am a do it yourselfer and it sounds a little deep to me

It is a little deeper ,take your time & follow the instructions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could t be the hazard switch and if so how do I replace it?
No.it sounds like a turn signal switch. They have a high failure rate,intermitten.