Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs

99 Chevy Venture: replacing..window regulator..works fine

Customer Question

Is a special tool required for just replacing the window regulator on a '99 Chevy Venture? The motor works fine.

Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

Ron :

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my best to assist you with your question.

There is a Coil Spring tool ( J38864) and if you have never done this you should be very careful. I can send instructions if you wish.

Ron :

You have to be very carful of removing the spring.

1. Remove the front door trim panel.

2. Remove the front door water deflector.

3. Apply the cloth backed body tape from the window over the top of the door to the other side of the window in order to hold the window in position when the removing the regulator.

4. Remove the wiring harness from the regulator motor.

IMPORTANT: Draw a line across the spring through the center with a marker or grease pencil in order to aid in the re-installation and orientation of the counterbalance spring.

1. Use J 38864 in order to release the regulator spring tension. Walk down the spring tension.

2. Unsnap the power window motor in order to remove the power window motor from the lock module.

Full Size Image

Customer :

Do you know the cost on the tool and is there a work around for it?

Ron :

No there is no work around for the tool and You can contact your local dealer and see if they stock it, as welll as pricing.

Customer :

Thanks. Yes, could you send instructions?

Ron :

I have sent them in the above post.

Customer :

ok

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 35 years experience with ASE Certs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
"Use J 38864 in order to release the regulator spring tension. Walk down the spring tension".
Okay, I have the tool, have the panel off, and now have no earthly idea how to use this tool.
Any help (and even more detailed instructions) would be most helpful.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
There are no more detailed instructions, and you have to use the tool to unhook the spring and if your not careful you could be hurt. You may want to have someone who has done this before assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess I should be more specific. First, I'm thinking the window will have to be in the down position first to unhook the regulator from the window or does this tool have to be used first?
Second, how do you "walk the tension" up/down? I don't see how to apply this tool I just purchased. I can't readily see where it attaches to the spring.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
The window has to be in the up position to remove the regulator

Apply the cloth backed body tape from the window over the top of the door to the other side of the window in order to hold the window in position when the removing the regulator.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay...how about the second part of the question?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
There is no clear way to explain this, once you have the regulator out, you should seek some trained help as this is the dangerous part . Stop by your local repair shop and have one of there techs safetly show you how to do this step..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome, be very careful.