Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2001 Chevy Blazer: overheating..ANtifreeze..the hose when it overheats

Customer Question

My 2001 Chevy Blazer is running hot and overheating, there is also no heat. ANtifreeze seeps out of the hose when it overheats. What is wrong.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

antifreeze seeps out of what hose? Did this just suddently happen? Does it overheat fast? Any smoke out of exhaust? Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It seeps out of the hose that goes into the radiator, It has been gradually getting to this point, It overheats in about five minutes, there is no smoke out of the exhaust
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
I would first replace the hose and clamp for it stops leaking.....Then replace radiator cap and thermostat to see if overheating stops......If not do a pressure test to see if system holds pressure if not you have a bad headgasket. If everything is good up to this point check to see if cooling fans are comming on and use a laser temp gun to check radiator for hot/cold spots. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As it turns out my cooling system was clogged and my radiator was empty. All it needed was a flush and fill. All of your answers would have cost me a whole lot of money. I am not at all satisfied.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

I told you to do a cooling system test would would have verified there are no leaks.......Next thing I suggested was to test radiator for hot/cold spots which would have indicated blockage leading you to the same conclusion......A cooling pressure test and testing the radiator are both free if you barrow tool from parts store and do yourself so I dont know how that would have costed you bunch of money....That is fine though, let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Edited by Dan on 10/27/2010 at 3:59 PM EST