Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

How do you replace the headlight switch on a 1984 Chevrolet

How do you replace the headlight switch on a 1984 Chevrolet S10 Blazer with ac? The switch is next to the remote wiper delay .On the same panel insert is the parking brake release. there must be a procedure to acess behind to release the release cable clip and to get to light switch shaft release button.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 3 years ago.

This should help you out. They might be out of order a bit.

Removal & Installation

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. From under the headlight switch assembly, remove the trim plate/switch assembly retaining screws.

For some vehicles equipped with fog lamps, the lamp switch may have to be removed in order to access the headlight trim plate/switch screw.

1. Pull the switch trim plate from the instrument panel. On late model vehicles, pivot the trim plate outward at the bottom, then pull the plate downward to release it.

2. Disengage the electrical wiring connectors from the rear of the trim plate/switch assembly.

3. Remove the headlight switch from the trim plate;

To install:

1. Install the new switch to the trim plate.

2. Engage the electrical wiring connectors to the rear of the switch/trim plate assembly.

3. On late model vehicles, pivot the trim plate inward at the bottom, align the switch trim plate, then connect it to the instrument panel.

4. Install the trim plate/switch retaining screws and secure them under the headlight switch assembly.

5. If equipped, install the fog lamp switch.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Reaching up behind instrument cluster, depress shaft retaining button and remove switch knob and rod.

3. Remove instrument cluster bezel screws on left end. Pull out on bezel and hold switch nut with a wrench.

4. Disconnect multiple wiring connectors at switch terminals.

5. Remove switch by rotating while holding switch nut.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Edited by Virtual Wrench on 10/20/2010 at 9:42 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This information seems for a later model s10 blazer mine has a earlier style push pull head light switch with old school rotating dimmer on switch. same panel has rotating wiper delay next to it . park cable release cable below

Ok, that type you have to first remove the push/pull knob by reaching up under the dash and with the knob pulled out, depress that little silver tab on the switch and remove the knob,then you need a large screwdriver and remove the nut in the center that was behind the knob stem. Once that nut is off, the switch pulls out from the back. It's tough because there isnt much room under the dash to work with.

Register Here

Edited by Virtual Wrench on 10/20/2010 at 10:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
got your be back message Will wait for your reply

Hi, it's posted above. Not sure what happened...

Ok, that type you have to first remove the push/pull knob by reaching up under the dash and with the knob pulled out, depress that little silver tab on the switch and remove the knob,then you need a large screwdriver and remove the nut in the center that was behind the knob stem. Once that nut is off, the switch pulls out from the back. It's tough because there isn't much room under the dash to work with.

Register Here

Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic