Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1994 Chevy S10: automatic transmission..2nd gear..10 minutes..RPM

I own a 1994 Chevy S10 with 4.3 (W) engine with automatic transmission. The transmission will upshift from 1st to 2nd gear and get stuck there after 10 minutes driving time (RPM can go up as high as 4000). When engine is cold everything appears normal as it goes from 1st, 2nd, 3d, and 4th gears without a hitch. As soon as the engine is warmed up, the problem appears again and again. I've already serviced the transmission by replacing the filter and fluid, but that didn't fix the problem. What is causing this strange problem? Do you think I need to have the transmission completely flushed? At this point I am willing to try anything. I'm desperate, please help.
MMorel

Hello and welcome to justanswer. I am David and I will be assisting you with your transmission problem.

Is the check engine light coming on when you experience these problems? Does the transmission stay stuck in 2nd gear, or does it try to shift into 3rd and slip like it is in neutral?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no check engine light. It stayed stuck in 2nd gear with speed of 30 mph to 50 mph while rpm varies with engine speed. Once I let the trruck sit for 4 or 5 hours everything is fine again.

The problem you are experiencing is most likely due to a sticking 2-3 shift valve in the transmission valve body. Flushing the transmission will not fix this problem. My suggestion is to remove the transmission pan and the 2-3 shift solenoid. Remove the valve from behind the solenoid and clean the valve and the bore. You can even polish the valve with some 1500 grit sandpaper, then wash the valve with brake cleaner. Coat the valve with clean transmission fluid before reinserting it and checking for smooth movement in the bore. It is not a bad idea to go ahead and install a new shift solenoid at this time as well.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I noticed two shift solenoids in there. Which one of the two is 2-3 shift solenoid, assuming I'm under the truck with my head toward the rear. Do you also think it's a good idea to also replace the 1-2 solenoid while I am at it?
If you look at the picture I provided, it shows the two shift solenoids are side by side. The 2-3 solenoid is the one that is furthest to the passenger side of the vehicle. I would not worry about the 1-2 solenoid, as it seems to be working correctly.