Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

1990 Chevy Blazer: rear end..the differential gears..assembly

The pinoin gear on my 1990 Chevy Blazer full size has broken teeth. I am needing to replace the rear end. How hard is it to pull the differential gears and just replace those, or is it better to pull the whole rear end assembly with the housing, axels and all. When I was a teenager, I remember I swapped the differential gears a few times on an old Ford I had, but I don't remember how.

I think that would depend how if you wanted to install a salvage yard rear or just install the ping and pinion and the price of both and what available tools you have.

To R&R the entire axle assembly calls for 3.6 hours. The procedure is, click here.

To R&R the ring and pinion calls for 4.2 hours. That procedure, can be found here along with ring and pinion sets,

Ring and Pinion Installation Instructions can be found here,

Here also,

Looks like roughly $150-$300 for the ring and pinion set.

I called about a rear for my 1990 C1500 and they wanted $700 from a salvage yard for that so that should give you some idea of how much a salvage rear may cost.

If you need any diagrams, here.

Plus they have parts as well.

So does,

Here, too

Actually, I found some complete rear axles starting at about $100.

Over 500 results found.

Here, this is the home page put in your zipcode.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
From the instructional link, it looks like more than just pulling a complete differential unit out and putting a replacement unit in. Seems like (many years ago) on a 68 Ford i had, I was able to pull the axels and then pull the whole differential gear assembly as a unit and put a replacement one in, then slide the axels back in, fairly easily without really setting up tollerances and stuff. is that not the case with a Chevy truck rear end?
No it's not. Plus, if you had a broken tooth chances are the tooth may have gotten chewed up and there may quite possibly be other damage as well. Have you put in your zip code in that search box and tried to locate a used rear assembly? I think you should just go with the whole rear instead of a ring and pinion R&R. Not to mention you would probably need a dial indicator and some other special tools.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got it. Where do i put the zip code in to find the part?

At the bottom where it says Postal Code :