GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

No heat in 2006 Silverado, noticed ac compressor..disconnected..vents

Customer Question

No heat in 2006 Silverado, noticed AC compressor on, disconnected AC compressor, have 86deg. air out of vents while standing still, 66deg. while moving.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'm Cam. May I ask your first name?
I am working to get you a fast accurate answer. About your vehicle, Do you hear ANY change at all when you try to change hot to cold?

Does the engine temp read normal, about half way when warm?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
eng. temp is normal & I do not here any change. also notice, latley half of the temp control slide on drivers is not lit. I puled the AC fuse and blower for defrost does not work, AC does stay off. Found this check on Google. Adam

The light is just a bulb, but not one that can be changed.

So which side is not working then?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Driver side

Is it stuck on full hot?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
switch slides normally, but the light just went out in the last few days
had same problem before light went out. think it's stuck in cooling.

OK, take the actautor off and see if you can turn the shaft by hand.

HERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS TO REPLACE OR GET OFF.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Took off actuator, turned shaft by hand, also watched actuator as I changed temp setting and it did not rotate. when I turned shaft by hand there was no temp. change. does the bad actuator affect temp. of air?

That actuator on the bottom is only for the drivers side temp. It should have changed temp by you turning the shaft.

Did it feel like there was tension on it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the shaft where the actuator is attached, has no tension on it only with blower on. can move it freely with fingers. actuator does not move at all.

Did the shaft only turn about 1/4 of a turn?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YES

OK, that is normal. I suspect a bad actautor. You will need to replace it but don't plug it in until you have it installed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when i install new actuator will shaft allign to new position on actuator?

Yes, you may need to turn it a bit but it will fit on.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Cam, Adam

Thanks for using Just Answer. If you want me to answer your next GM or GM product question, please put "For GMTECH Cam to Answer" and I should get it. Thanks and have a great day!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cam, This past weekend I was able to afford the Door blend actuator,
$148.00, After I installed it there was NO change. I'm out $163.00
NOW What????????? Adam

Adam, did you reset the system following the replacement?

Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Disconnected cables and held together for over 10sec. There is NO change, still do not have any heat anywhere. I noticed that when I shift to defrost, the air volume increases, but still No heat. Adam

Are the heater lines hot then?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Heater hose off of the water pump is cold and the one to the intake is hot. which is supply and which is return? Adam

Is one of the 2 hoses that go into the cab hotter than the other?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
one is hot, other is not(very luke warm even almost cold)

That does not sound right, one should be hot and the other hot as well. Take those 2 lines off and flush the heater core out pushing water first in the cold line.

If you cannot get it to work, then you may need to replace the heater core.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can it be bad? this truck only had 35,000 when the problem arose

There could be something in there, even with that low of mileage.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Went home and flushed, All is NORMAL. Still out 148.00 should have bought the manual. would have been cheaper!!!!!!!!!! which I did anyway. Adam Gorgon

It is strange that it is plugged then at that low of mileage.

But the question remains, you indicated the heat was only out on the drivers side, if the core was plugged then it would have not worked on both sides.