John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

2007 Cobalt: under hood..fuse panel..connectors..the electric steering

Customer Question

2007 Cobalt under hood fuse panel, how do you remove the two large wire connectors located at the rear left, they both have a blue insert in them that you are supposed to "depress" but they won't move anywhere, up down ect. ? One is white for the electric steering with a red wire and the other is green with an orange wire.
Here is a link to a pic of the connectors in question http://home.earthlink.net/~genestoy/connectors.jpg
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Very good picture, these blue clips are connect assurance clips that make sure that connector is locked into place. Pull them straight out & then you can squeeze the connector lock to remove the connector.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John,
That does not work, I removed the blue clip which by the way does not just pull out, you have to push it a little bump tab on the side to get them out(very hard to remove) and there is nothing to squeeze on the connector or it will break it?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Object Number: 888055  Size: CH

This is the connector body you are working with.The outward clip is what is holding it. Use a small screw driver & flex it toward the connector to remove.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John,
Guess I just don't get it, here are three more pics

http://home.earthlink.net/~genestoy/connector1.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~genestoy/connector2.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~genestoy/connector3.jpg
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
I know this vehicle & this part .I have done this before & you have explained it well ,but I guess I cannot get it across to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So are you saying with the blue clips removed you insert a small screwdriver in the slot where they were?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

No,the blue clip that is removed keeps the lock of the connector from being unlocked.

You will need to insert the small screw driver beside this to press in the lock on th connector.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So just so I am clear the blue clips need to go back in and then insert a small screwdriver on which side of the blue clip?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
No, the blue clip must be out . It is a connector position assurance device that GM uses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John,
look at this pic where do I insert the screwdriver in arrow 1 or 2, I have tried inserting a small screwdriver everywhere to no avail!

http://home.earthlink.net/~genestoy/connector4.jpg
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Neither , the locking clip is just below #2 / great pics.

Look closely at the connector & Object The small upper pic.

You want to unlock that outer lever to remove the connector.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I figured it out on my own last night, the blue clips do not need to be removed and the screwdriver needs to be on the very outside of the connector and tilt the handle of the screwdriver out away from the connector to release it, got them both out okay - see this pic http://home.earthlink.net/~genestoy/clips2.jpg
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
That is great & that is what I what was trying to tell you. have a good day.,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help John, I have had this car (2007 Cobalt) into 2 different dealers and neither could tell me what is wrong correctly, the first one after two days at the dealer (sitting in the back lot) said the steering column PSCM was bad and wanted $900 to replace it with no guarantee to fix the problem so I bought a new one from a different dealer for $325 and installed it myself, which did not fix the problem. The cars speedo is inop, the check engine light is on, the auto trans shifts real hard and "Power Steering" is displayed in the dash. I am at wits end tring to fix this problem and am now installing a new fuse panel/box under the hood as I have heard that they may also be faulty. I was also told by two dealers that the new PSCM had to be flashed, is that true? I am accepting your previous answer as I know you tried your best to help me and maybe you can offer me some more advice as to what you think the problem might be with the car. I don't know how this system works so if you get this you can email me directly atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX if you want.
Thanks, Gene

PS--I am sending this as a reply to you so you get it then I will do the accept when you tell me you have the question.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry to hear that you have had so much problem,but I have seen a lot of problems with these vehicles. They are real cute vehicles ,but as in many new productions (in my opinion) they have not lived up to what I would consider a dependable vehicle,but that sometimes takes a few years to work the kinks out.

JA does not allow email so we can discuss this here.

Power Steering Control Module Programming and Setup

The Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) requires no programming or setup procedure. Most of the modules & computers do require programming ,but this one does not. The first path to repairing your power steering problem would be to scan the system for fault codes Here is a bulletin for some of the problems.

07-02-32-007B: Diagnostic Tips for Power Steering Inoperative/Steering Wheel Hard to Turn, Power Steering Message Displayed on DIC, DTCs C0176, C0475, C0476, C0550, U2105, U2107 Set - (Aug 6, 2009)

Subject:Diagnostic Tips for Power Steering Inoperative/Steering Wheel Hard to Turn, Power Steering Message Displayed on DIC, DTCs C0176, C0475, C0476, C0550, U2105, U2107 Set

Models:2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt
2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2007-2009 Pontiac G5
2003-2007 Saturn ION

This bulletin is being revised to update the information for DTC C0475. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-02-32-007A (Section 02 -- Steering).

The following diagnostics might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the condition(s) described above. Use the appropriate recommendation based on what symptom has occurred.

No DTCs

Review Corporate Bulletin Number 05-02-32-002D to assure you do not have a blown 60 amp steering fuse. The fuse can be blown during improper jump starting of the vehicle on the HHR and ION. Check for this particularly for tow in conditions. DO NOT replace the steering column unless an internal short has been identified in the column that is causing fuse to blow.

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTCs C0176 and C0476

This condition is often the result of excessive lock-to-lock turns of the steering wheel, causing the thermal protection in the power steering control module (PSCM) to take the steering motor temporarily off line. This is a normal operating characteristic of the system. DO NOT replace the steering column for this condition. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-32-002C for additional information.

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC C0550 in the PSCM

Inspect the motor harness connection to the PSCM. If no connector problems are found, replace the steering column ONLY as this is an internal controller issue.

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC C0475 in the PSCM

Check the connection between the EPS motor and the power steering control module (PSCM) by ensuring the harness connector is properly seated. If the connection is normal, replace ONLY the EPS motor.

Note: If the DTC resets immediately following motor replacement, replace the steering column.

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC U2105 and/or U2107 in the PSCM with any other U codes

Although the code(s) appear in the PSCM, these are communication codes and are not the result of a problem with the column operation or the control module. If the codes are in history, clear the codes and re-key the vehicle a few times to see if they come back. If they reappear, look for a communication issue from the BCM U2107 or ECM U2105 (wiring, connector, etc.) as the root cause. If the codes do not reappear after a test drive, return the vehicle back to the customer. DO NOT replace the steering column.

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

E8434

Power Steering Assist Motor Replacement

Use Published Labor Operation Time

E7680

Steering Column Replacement

Your speedometer not working, one would need to start with a fault code to begin the diagnosis. This can be a faulty VSS (vehicle speed sensor) ,wiring ,or computer.

If there is no vehicle speed sensor signal,this will cause a check engine light & the transmission to shift hard.

Experience: A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The VSS sensor is the one on the side of the trans and is only about a $15 part I think, so I will first get the codes cleared (after my fuse panel gets here tomorrow) and see what happens then. I was pretty sure the PSCM did not need to be flashed but 2 different dealers told me it needed to be at a cost of $100!
Thanks again John, will keep in touch and at least let you know what I find out.
Gene
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Here is a pic of the VSS for automatic trans.

Object Number: 104524  Size: SH

Inspect the wiring very closely.Sometimes you will find the harness to be damaged ,causing the problem.

You are very welcome,I hope it all comes together for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John,
I got the new fuse block under the hood installed and the one that was in the car was definitly the wrong one! I cleared the codes with a scan tool and now two codes are resetting P0700 trans control sys malfunction and U0100 lost comm with ECM/PCM Module A, any suggestion as to what to do next?
Thanks, Gene
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

The P0700 is a TCM (transmission control module code)

The U0100 is

1. A short between high speed GMLAN (+) and high speed GMLAN (-) circuits
  2. Any of the high speed GMLAN (+ or -) serial data circuits shorted to ground or voltage
  3. A module internal malfunction that causes a short to voltage or ground on the high speed GMLAN circuits
  4. An open in either/both GMLAN serial data circuits
  5. Use a scan tool to communicate with all vehicle modules. Any that you are unable to communicate with,there is a problem.