Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

how do you know if your power steering pump is bad

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

does the power steering not work?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
as far as i can tell but i hear i high pitied sound will driving and sometimes it sticks.
if you are sitting still..and turn the wheel left and right,,,,does it make the noise?does it turn easy?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no sound is made unless I turn to far to one side and turns easy. But a copy of times it has gotten real stuff wail I'm at a stop.

does it make a noise when at a stop?please explain your problem

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it only makes noise when i give it gas does it make the sound. A co worker said that it could be the bearing on the power steering pulley. I'm lose i think it might be the fuel pump.

does the tone of the sound change when you give it gas and turn the wheel left and right?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it does when I do both.
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 years ago.

this does sound as if there is a bad bearing in the pump,,,if it isn't low on fluid,i would think you will need to replace the pump

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP