Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

2004 chevy impala: relay..diagram..passenger side fuse block

Customer Question

2004 chev impala - unable to find the fuse for the rear defogger. I find the relay but both manual and actaul car diagram and passenger side fuse block show 30amp fuse - but nothing is there.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
The only fuse that controls this circuit is the 60 amp RT IP #3 fuse in the under hood junction block.

Here is a wiring diagram.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, I check that fuse and it is OK. I see there is a circuit breaker on the schematics. This car does have A/C does that mean the right side (A/C) of diagram is the one to use?

I replaced the relay - still no clicking in relay when I turn on switch ( no power at leads in back as well). Also, compressor clutch broke early in summer - I did not repair - can there be a tie in with this?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
YES.. it is possible. You are going to want to check for 2 powers going into the defogger relay with the key on and switch defrost pressed. THis will ensure that the BCM is sending a signal to the relay and that the complete other side of the circuit is ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Onepower to circuit always hot - second point is always showing about 0.30 volts - regardless of switch position. thoughts?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.

Did you check this with the key on? If so, start the engine and see if that makes any difference.

If not, then we need ot find out which circuit does and does not have power going to the relay.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With car running - full voltage to two circuits. If your are sure there is no 30 amp circuit - I will check for line problems between fuse box and back of car. what color is the hot coming out of the box? I am assuming dark green = thicker gauge wire.

With that - thanks for the help, thought it would be a simple question. I will accept answer.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.

YES... the dark green wire is the wire that leave the relay (after the relay is activated) and powers up the grid.

THere is that 30 amp circuit breaker in the junction box that will trip and could allow for no power going to the grid. Just keep that in mind. Maybe it is bad or maybe it is just tripped??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That is actually my original question - how do I find that breaker? I t should be on passenger side - is it in back of the box? take out the glove box? or does the box come out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
ask the question of a different technician
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay!

It should be in the junction block on the instrument panel. It will be very close to the relay.

If you need a diagram or the locations, just let me know!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Here are two pictures...

graphic
(lower right hand side)

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The first diagram is the one I have in owner's manual / on the junction box. It lists the 30 amp defooger breaker and the power seat breaker as "Inside Components". when I look at the junction box i see all of the breakers but these two "inside components". The right side of the junction box has a gray cover. i removed that. there is a whites grid with all the incoming or outgoing wires coming out. there is a screw in the middle of the white grid. i have unscrewed the screw - it does not come out all the way and the white grid is still attached. I did not want to place to much force to pull out the white grid. does the "inside component mean the circuit is under the white grid? The diagram shows it comes off - is that a correct assumption? Or is the breaker on the backside of the block which requires taking out the glove box ( still not sure i could get to it.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.

Hello!

What side of the car are you on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Passenger side.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.

According to the picture, these two circuit breakers are "inside devices" Maybe it is inside or behind the dash on the opposite of the fuse/relay panel.

Here is another picture.

graphic

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

I am just checking up on you.

Did you have any further questions?

If not, please don't forget to hit the accept button so that I may receive credit for the time that I have spent with you.

Thank you and have a great day!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Please ask another technician.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
I will leave this question open.

Good luck!

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 3 years ago.

The Circuit Breaker for the Rear Defogger is on the Right side (passenger) of the Dash next to door
Remove Panel to expose

graphic

Your Deposit is not Payment.

You need to click ACCEPT so I may be compensated a small portion.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you able to see the previous stream of messages on this one? It is not there - or at least not where I can find it - let me know if you can't see the previous mechanics resposnes and questions.

Have read all & if your 2004 Impala does NOT have the Circuit Breaker on the "RIGHT SIDE" of the Dash as shown, then it is only activated thru the BCM & powered as shown above from the Right Hand RELAY

This is not rocket science

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So what your saying is your are unable to answer the question... Not a great answer from a rocket scientist!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Does anyone actually know whether this circuit breaker exists? Some web sites indicate it does not exsist and that the line burns or the junction box burns out. Direct experience would be helpful in answering this question.

I did answer, but you refuse to understand

The Switch triggers the BCM

The BCM triggers the Relay (ground) to supply power to the Rear Defogger

If the Circuit Breaker is not there, then the Voltage dependency is from the 60 amp fuse

If you are not competent enough to test the Relay, Ground & Voltage, please have someone that can, complete the job
Use of Dealer Tech 2 Scan Tool would probably narrow this down & cost you less than 1 hour labor

Sorry you feel that my answer is not good enough
I never said "I" was a rocket scientist, so please stop with the taunting

you have a nice evening

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Open the question to other mechanics. A simple breaker replacement if the the circuit does exist (and is blown) will solve the problem.

Sorry.,
This is open to anyone that wishes to answer
If you do not want to test the circuit, then you will not find the problem

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Looking for answer to question of whether circuit breaker actually exsits.