Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

How do i install a distributor on a 92 s10 pick up. 4.3

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

you need to take out the #1 plug,,,hold your finger on the plug hole...have your help to bump the starter till you feel air[compression]start to come out of the hole....then hand turn the engine until the mark on the harmonic balancer is on [o]..now you have the #1 piston up on the compression stroke...now,install the distributer to where the rotor is pointing to the #1 plug wire terminal...now it is in time

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Service and Repair

INSTALLATION:

REMOVAL:

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
  2. Disconnect the wiring connectors at the side of the distributor cap.
  3. Remove the distributor cap and move it out of the way.
    1. Scribe a mark on the engine in line with the rotor.
    2. Note the position of the distributor housing in relation to the engine.
  1. Remove the distributor hold-down nut and clamp.
  2. Remove the distributor.

INSTALLATION:

NOTE:

a. To ensure correct timing of the distributor, the distributor must be installed with the rotor correctly positioned as noted. If the engine was accidentally cranked after the distributor was removed, the following procedure can be used for installing.
  1. Remove the number 1 spark plug.
  2. Place finger over the number 1 spark plug hole and crank engine slowly until compression is felt.
  3. Align timing mark on pulley to "0" on engine timing indicator.
  4. Turn rotor to point to the 1 spark plug tower on the distributor cap
b. If the distributor shaft will not drop down flush with the engine, it may be necessary to rotate the oil pump drive shaft to align it with the slot on the bottom of the distributor drive gear. Insert a screwdriver into the distributor hole in the engine and turn the oil pump drive shaft slightly to allow alignment.
  1. Install the distributor.
  2. Install the distributor hold-down clamp and retaining nut.
  3. Install the distributor cap.
  4. Connect the wiring harness connector at the side of the distributor cap.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Set ignition timing to specification.
Number 1 Cylinder Location

NUMBER ONE CYLINDER LOCATION

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Ignition Firing Order
Firing Order 1-6-5-4-3-2