Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My 2005 Chevy Equinox nas delevoped a front end shake while

My 2005 Chevy Equinox nas delevoped a front end shake while driving. I starts at 40 mph and seems to lessen at 50 to 60 mph. I had the front tires checked for balance. The tires were not the problem. My mechanic seems to think it could be a drive shaft or axle. The vehicle has 39K on it. Any ideas?

Walter
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
Were the tires checked for road force variation and out of round when they were balanced?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, they were not. But the tires are only months old and I did not have any problems when first installed.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

Almost all the time when vehicles have vibrations at the speeds you indicated, the problem is in the tires. The belts within the tires can shift and move, causing the tire balance to change as well as making the tire out of round or changing the road force variation of the tires. If an axle or driveshaft were to cause the vibration, it would either have to be bent or damaged. If you have not had a collision and do not hear any noise from the axle joints, it will not likely be from the axles. My suggestion is to check steering components like the tie rods. Outer tie rods have worn out on these vehicles at fairly low mileage and can cause a vibration from the play allowed in the steering. If the tie rods and hubs are tight, have the tires checked for out of round and road force variation. Most tire shops have a specialized balancer for checking this.