Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Starting problem with 1999 chevy suburban with 5.7 breaking

Customer Question

Starting problem with 1999 chevy suburban with 5.7 breaking starters fly wheel and boss?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
how many starters and flywheels have been broken?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just bought it trying to fix it had running until starter breaks again this will be #3
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

ok this is a common problem for these engine what is wrong is the crank sensor is bad and needs to be replaced when it acts up it will change the timing and cause the engine to kick back and damage the starter.here is the procedure to fix that truck up.and make sure that flywheel has NO broken teeth.and of course put # XXXXX starter in it but after this fix it will be the last starter you put in it!

Condition:
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

^Backfire during crank/start
^"Kickback" during crank/start
^"No" start
^"Slow" or "hard" start/crank
^"Grinding" or unusual noises during crank/start
^Cracked or broken engine block at the starter boss
^Broken starter drive housing
^Broken starter ring gear on flywheel
^Any combination of the above

Cause:
A condition may exist that allows the crank sensor to command up to 50 extra degrees of spark advance during engine cranking only. This in turn exposes the engine to higher than normal cylinder pressures which may result in an inoperative condition to the starter drive housing, the engine flywheel starter ring gear, or the engine block at the outside edge of the starter boss.

Correction:
Inspect for a stored power train DTC code P0338. This DTC will NOT illuminate the "Service Engine Soon" light. If this code is stored, the Crankshaft Position sensor, P/N 10456607, MUST be replaced and the remaining components inspected for damage (engine block at the starter boss, the starter drive housing, and the engine flywheel starter ring gear).

Notice : When DTC code P0338 is set, failure to replace the Crankshaft Position sensor could result in repeated inoperative conditions of the starter or flywheel.

Important : Some flywheel wear is normal; broken or missing teeth and/or cracks, are not normal.

Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I all ready got this memo went auto store bought the sensor they did not have this number they gave me the another part number css123 by BWD now do I just replace sensor or do I need to erase any code or do I have adjust anything cause when replaced it stayed the same.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
get that sensor from GM.or try the after market one you already have install it put in a new starter make sure the teeth on the flywheel are good and start it up.no adjustment should be necessary at all.with the battery disconnected it should erase the code.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I called GM they said the don't show part #10456607 nor do they show a bulliten for a change in the sensor do you have another # XXXXX a gm part? the teeth ar fine it a brand new flywheel
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
have you tried the crank sensor you bought after market yet?if you have a new one put it in it should be fine.it was the original sensors that acted up.as for GM if you call and order a crank sensor you WILL get the new style one.they discontinued the original one and this was so long ago there are NO original ones available to buy.so they list just one choice for your truck.

Edited by GNwrench on 10/13/2010 at 2:42 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already tried the after martet with no result so u suggest that I go rite to gm?
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
yes use the GM one.please let me know how the GM one works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just got back with new gm sesnor put it in same crap!
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
still kicking back?ok now what we need to do now is if you pull off the coil wire will it stop doing this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well I'm still breaking starters please there has to be something going on it was starting pretty good yesterday came in this morning and bang it kicked till it broke starter again!
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
if you remove the coil wire and crank it will it still kick back on you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well do you have any answer I did what u Asked it spun free no kickback.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok at this point we either have a distributer problem or the signal from the crank sensor is bad.inspect the wires from the crank sensor and follow the wires and make sure they are good and not pinched or cut.if they look good i would get a re manufactured distributer and install it.it is one of those 2 causing this problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I gotta tell u I'm tried of this junk I don't believe I'm going to spend another dime on it I'm going to see if someone lends me a distributor over the weekend get back to u Monday .
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok